Oil filter thoughts?

drovak

My '31 8-86 is missing the oil filter. It's been bypassed at some point. 

PXL_20201128_192235719.thumb.jpg.c77d9ca26e7aa2bb72a69881fc027285.jpg

Given that the manual suggests changing the oil 4 times per year or every 500 miles, was a cloth filter even that useful? Better than nothing, I suppose!

What do you recommend for drivability? I would like to locate an original filter housing for originality at some point.

• Like 1

The original filters were not reusable.  There was an optional filter that had a renewable feature, But I have never seen one of these. The original type was a cannister that was replaced.  The system only filtered oil going to the rocker arm.  there are different sizes for 1931 from 1932 and different sizes for 50, 60, 80-90 series cars.  Oil in 1932 was not a detergent oil, so heavy solids settled out in the bottom of the oil pan.  The pans were were deep to accept this sludge.  They used more oil in the system also.  There are replacement filter cannisters that look like the original, but have a spin on filter on the inside.  If you are only going to drive the car several hundred miles a year, I would just change the oil yearly.  Modern multi viscosity oils work well in these old cars.

Bob Engle

• Like 2

On 11/30/2020 at 6:17 AM, Robert Engle said:

The original filters were not reusable.  There was an optional filter that had a renewable feature, But I have never seen one of these. The original type was a cannister that was replaced.  The system only filtered oil going to the rocker arm.  there are different sizes for 1931 from 1932 and different sizes for 50, 60, 80-90 series cars.  Oil in 1932 was not a detergent oil, so heavy solids settled out in the bottom of the oil pan.  The pans were were deep to accept this sludge.  They used more oil in the system also.  There are replacement filter cannisters that look like the original, but have a spin on filter on the inside.  If you are only going to drive the car several hundred miles a year, I would just change the oil yearly.  Modern multi viscosity oils work well in these old cars.

Bob Engle

I agree. My '37 LaSalle has a similar oiling system (bottom end gets little/no benefit of the filter), and the filter is difficult to access, so I just change the oil once a season. Unless you plan to make the car a daily driver, you'll be fine.

• Like 1