IMPORT DUTY FREE INTO CANADA

THOUGHT THE FOLLOWING WILL BE OF INTEREST TO ALL CANADIANS ON THE FORUM.

Some information about duty and brokerage fees into Canada

Auto parts for vehicles >25 years old are duty free into Canada no matter the country of origin. Ask the shipper to indicate HS code 9966.00.00 on the customs declaration. This Tariff Item of the Customs Tariff gives duty free status to "articles for use solely or principally with those vehicles manufactured more than 25 years prior to the date of importation". Information about the interpretation of this tariff item can be found at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d10/d10-15-20-eng.html

As stated in this memo, eligible articles are limited to those solely or principally for qualifying vehicles and would have to be in keeping with the original appearance and configuration of the vehicle. These may be either original articles or reproductions.

Articles that incorporate modern safety features or other technological developments can be considered under tariff item No. 9966.00.00, provided that they are solely or principally for use with qualifying vehicles and do not compromise the original configuration of the vehicle. An example would be disc brakes designed specifically for a 1936 Chevrolet Coupe.

General purpose articles that can be used in vehicles covered and not covered under tariff item No. 9966.00.00 are not eligible for consideration.

So reproduction door panels would be eligible as they are specific to a vehicle over 25 years old, but tires that fit both a TR6 and a 2011 Ford would not.

On the brokerage/handling fee issue, Canada Post will collect a fee of $9.95 as a handling fee, if duties and/or taxes were collected on the shipment.

On shipments with a value of <$2500, there are ways to avoid the brokerage fees charged by UPS, Fedex etc, by clearing the shipment yourself. There are 2 ways to do this:

1. Prior to receiving your shipment, you can contact the courier company and inform them of your wish to self-clear any shipments that are addressed to you and on which brokerage fees are applicable. The company will explain their procedures to you.

2. As an alternative, when a casual shipment is delivered to you, you can refuse delivery and advise the courier company of your intention to self-clear directly with the CBSA. In this case, please ensure that you take note of the unique shipment identifier number on the package, as the shipment will be returned to the courier’s warehouse.

With both options, you will need to visit your local CBSA office to complete a B15 (Casual Goods Accounting Document) and provide them with specific details, including the courier’s name, the unique shipment identifier number, a description of the goods and their value so that the CBSA can correctly assess the goods. This information is usually indicated on the shipment’s invoice, which will be provided to you by the courier company. When you have paid the applicable duties and/or taxes to the CBSA, you will be given an official receipt indicating that the goods have been accounted for. You will need to present this receipt to the courier’s warehouse where your shipment is stored, in order for the courier to release your shipment to you.

Despite what you may be told by the courier, you have the right to do this and clear the goods yourself. See http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d17/d17-4-0-eng.pdf and in particular paragraph 56.

• Like 4

It used to be I would have my goods shipped to border towns, including Sweetgrass. MT, Sumas, WA, et al, where most all have end-of-the-line shipping points.  I'd usually plan it so I could pick up the goods if I intend on spending a long weekend at a car show in the US, and use my 48 hr. exemption.  Of course this Covid thing has changed it all.  

Montana Shipping Outlet... Your U.S. shipping address

Ship Happens | Your United States shipping and receiving solution for home and business (myshiphappens.com)

Craig

I retired from Mastercoat 6 years ago. We stopped shipping to Canada because of all the grief that we encountered from Canadian customs. they actually confiscated one of our packages for the hell of it. Sent forms for us to fill out that we were an actual company. So we stopped shipping to Canada. This covid situation certainly hasn't helped for crossing the border

Pre-covid I would get my US purchased parts shipped to a pickup point just 10 minutes from the Bluewater Bridge in Port Huron, MI, which itself is a 1 1/2 hour drive from my home. There was really not much of a saving, but it was a nice little road trip and involved the inevitable stop at Cracker Barrel ! Hopefully things will eventually open up again. I miss mingling with you Americans.

Jim

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, padgett said:

And Florida misses those Snowbird dollars.

A recent survey showed that about 50% of snowbirds still plan on taking their chances and flying to warmer states for the winter. They can't cross the border in cars/motorhomes but they can still fly down. Granted, that's a 50% hit on snowbird dollars.

The covid situation has stopped my hobby spending dead in its tracks. The value of the $ was bad enough, but when combined with the loss of the ability to pick up shipments in Washington State { 15 minutes away from my doorstep on a good day , border line up } it pushes the price up to a point where it can't be done. I wanted to buy a pair of wheels a few months ago; small, light wheels for a non antique car, and the shipping cost ballooned from about $40.00 / wheel to around $225.00 / wheel. As well shipments sent from the US to Canada through the Post Office usually have the full tax and fee attached to them , an additional 12% or so . Things I pick up in the U.S and bring across myself almost never are taxed. The Border people don't want to bother with the paperwork unless the sum is at least $300.00 - $400.00 and so you just get a wave through and a " have a nice day " from the Border Guard.

Just can't absorb that sort of cost increase. My garage fund is growing , but the projects are at a standstill. And from what I hear in the media it is a situation that is going to continue for the foreseeable future. 

Greg

A few years back I sold a large batch of parts on Ebay. One item shipped to a border city in the northwest, the other to Florida. I switched the labels and the parts went to the opposite destination. I was contacted by the person in Florida. He was making a visit to Florida and had bought the part timed with his return to Columbia. The other parts went into a package to be picked up and distributed to the buyers in Canada.

To speed things up I asked each to forward their part to the US address. One part had to be retrieved from Canada.

Time was getting tight to make the carry on baggage to Columbia and that buyer was getting antsy, looking at 6 months before another visit. He called me very upset. I told him "This is a very unique coincidence. Don't you know they pay writers in Hollywood to make up stories like this?" He kind of saw the humor.

All the parts got delivered on time and I got a friendly invitation to lunch if I was ever in Miami. I'm sitting with my back to the wall if I do.

Bernie