Goddess of speed

mdmeason

I'm new to this site so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place. I just acquired my very own God as a speed. I instantly fell in love tried to find some more information about her but can't. My God is a speed doesn't follow a donut it follows an airplane. Any background info on my lady would be greatly appreciated

IMG_20201024_171726429.jpg

IMG_20201024_230533.jpg

IMG_20201024_171902000.jpg

• Like 1

The wheel behind the lady has nothing to do with her except the mounting of her. The wheel is actually a Boyce Moto-meter,just a fancy thermometer that the driver could see and know if the engine was running at normal temperature. These were aftermarket and could be generic or have the car name or insignia in the front. Here is a picture of a couple of them,one on a cap and one not. These are Cadillac brand. Some were fancier than others. According to the book she is made of brass and called the Goddess of Flight so Douglas Gilmore Brown is probably onto something with the Linburgh thing.

IMG_9745.JPG

The Moto-meter in Bill’s book has an American Austin faceplate, but I can guarantee that dog bone cap would not fit the Austin radiator... 

Really nice ornament even for an “inexpensive accessory” as Bill put it. I agree with the Lindbergh connection as to the dating of it.

Well y'all have been a tremendous help I guess the only question that remains is how much is she worth and I've always been told that cleaning something decreases the value of it but I am dying to polish her I think she deserves better than that what do y'all think?

If you polish too much it could be mistaken for one of the newer repops showing up on eBay, that darker patina is a badge of honor and cannot be easily faked. As for a value, that gets pretty subjective but my opinion is around the $125 range. Putting it with a nice moto-meter and Correct period cap would increase its desirability  to a collector I would think.