Gas/Accelerator pedal popping off it's mount

SurfGreen64

I recently had to remove the gas pedal in my 64' to replace the carpeting.  Now, that the new carpet is in place, I reinstalled the two ball prongs with their base plate and pushed the base of the pedal back onto the prongs.  Everything looks fine, but when I drive I now find that the pedal pops off the right ball prong if I don't center my foot on the gas pedal when pressing down on it.  This happens mostly when switching from the brake pedal to the gas pedal and you tend to press on the left side of the gas pedal (which I believe most people do when quickly switching to acceleration from a stop). 

Is there a way to fix this?  I know that the hard plastic the ball prongs go into on the pedal are a bit cracked.  I would replace it, but not sure if anyone sells replacement gas pedals, and especially in the rare green interior color of my Riviera. 

Anyone else had/have this problem? Your thoughts are most appreciated!

Thanks!

Walt

I believe I saw replacement acc pedals on the inline tube site the other day. They were for all gm models.  One thing you can try is to take the pedal off and use a heat gun to very carefully shrink the plastic back a bit and then put some clear silicone adhesive on each ball before reinstalling. 

However if the ball sockets are cracked, i would replace the pedal as it could be a safety issue if it pops off again on he highway etc. 

Nobody reproduces Riviera gas pedals.......you can get repro pedals for Chevrolet Impalas

that will fit your ball mounts but they are much narrower and only come in black. If I were

you I would try installing your pedal on the mounts with 3M yellow weatherstrip adhesive(the kind in the squeeze tube)

squeezed into the problem hole that pops off and then let it dry for several days.....I think you will find that it stays

put.