Dual Quad Question

Zimm63

Still sorting out and organizing the shop several years after moving.  

Today, I pulled out the dual quad set up I bought years ago from a member of the old Riviera mail list.  Wondering if anyone has the Carter listings and can tell me exactly what I have.  The numbers off the carbs are 3924SA and 36453B.

Can anyone ID the year? 

This is just a guess so take it for what it is:

3924SA, from http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Kbuick3.htm:

Year  Engine   Model                            | - - - - - - - - - - - - Carburetor - - -      Kit

1965     8   425 (Rear of 2) S/T               Carter     AFB               3924   1370049          860

36453B, from http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Kbuick2.htm:

Year  Engine   Model                            | - - - - - - - - - - - - Carburetor - - -      Kit

1964     8   425 (Front of 2) A/T              Carter     AFB               3645   1363267          860

Hopefully someone else can give you more information.

2 hours ago, Zimm63 said:

Still sorting out and organizing the shop several years after moving.  

Today, I pulled out the dual quad set up I bought years ago from a member of the old Riviera mail list.  Wondering if anyone has the Carter listings and can tell me exactly what I have.  The numbers off the carbs are 3924SA and 36453B.

Can anyone ID the year? 

You have a 5 digit number for the one carb. No 5 digit AFB's.  I have a source but need a good number.

From Carbking's website, there is a link for finding the correct gasket for carbs based on year, model, and engine and stamped numbers. If I'm reading it correctly, the 3924 is for a 65 425 w/ automatic trans.  The 3645 is the rear carb for a 2x4 setup with manual transmission. At least that's the way that I read it. 

21 minutes ago, telriv said:

In reality it SHOULD read 3645S  NOT 3.  The "B" stands for the second revision. IF it wre an "A" it would stand for the 1st. revision. I've ALSO seen "C" for a 3rd. revision, BUT this is fairly rare.

Tom T.

Evening Tom,

It has been a long time since I payed much attention to the carb number decode but my understanding is that the first and second versions are marked "S" and "SA" after the carb number and if marked "3B" that should be underneath the carb number and is a date code?

Tom M

All AFB's have the "S" after the number.  An "A" after the "S" number would be a 1st. revision. The "B"after the "S" number would be the 2nd. revision.

BUT, the numbers/letters under the number would be the date code as stated in your reply of 3B  would be 1963 second month "B" which would be Feb. & down the line ending at "M"for Dec. The I is not used the reason for the "M".

OK, a little clean up, better light and a magnifying glass reveals that the numbers are 3924SA and 3645SB.  

The only shop manual I have is 63, so its no help in looking up the numbers, which brings me here.

Tom- my idea (from years ago, when I knew less) was to add the dual quads and upgrade the trans to a 400.  I have a 64 trans and other parts to do that right down to the correct kickdown switch.  I also have a 3:23 posi rear.  There are lots of little details in doing the trans upgrade to include the flex plate adaptor, the different center bearing mount, shifter set up, etc.  Not easy, but doable.   The rear is a little more straight forward.  If I go forward with that, I need to find a good shop to go through it.  

More recently, I am wondering if I want to do all that work.   If I need to rebuild the engine or trans at some point, I may go ahead.  

Meantime, just trying to figure out exactly what I have had on the shelf for about 15 years.  

11 hours ago, telriv said:

All AFB's have the "S" after the number.  An "A" after the "S" number would be a 1st. revision. The "B"after the "S" number would be the 2nd. revision.

BUT, the numbers/letters under the number would be the date code as stated in your reply of 3B  would be 1963 second month "B" which would be Feb. & down the line ending at "M"for Dec. The I is not used the reason for the "M".

Yes, that`s what I recall

Tom M