1965 Interior trim question

crowvet

I have been working on my interior. The area in the picture where the seat rails bolt to the floor bugs me, I hate seeing the seat track mounting. I have heard of trim pieces that cover the area, but if you look at interior pictures online it is hard to find a car that has them. My car has a little black shield by the chrome lever, but it really hides nothing. were these skirts GS only? I am thinking of fabricating something to hide the area. Has anyone else done this or feel the same way?

IMG_1894.JPG

Gene at AB&G has repros available.  They are metal & NOT plastic so they should never need replacing again. Problem is they don't have the "Graining" as original plastic, BUT there are ways around that for satisfactory results IF your looking for perfection.

Tom T.

1 hour ago, crowvet said:

I have been working on my interior. The area in the picture where the seat rails bolt to the floor bugs me, I hate seeing the seat track mounting. I have heard of trim pieces that cover the area, but if you look at interior pictures online it is hard to find a car that has them. My car has a little black shield by the chrome lever, but it really hides nothing. were these skirts GS only? I am thinking of fabricating something to hide the area. Has anyone else done this or feel the same way?

IMG_1894.JPG

Daryle, I believe that is the incorrect carpet: the stirrup for seat track should have carpet butted up against it. Also, the seam for the front carpet should run from the fisher tag on the sill plate to the seat adjuster. Also, I don't believe there were finish plates on the track ends on a manual seat, either. Below is for sure original

3.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gungeey said:

Daryle, I believe that is the incorrect carpet: the stirrup for seat track should have carpet butted up against it. Also, the seam for the front carpet should run from the fisher tag on the sill plate to the seat adjuster. Also, I don't believe there were finish plates on the track ends on a manual seat, either. Below is for sure original

3.jpg

I think you are right Steve.  The passenger seats were all manual on the first gen’s and none of mine ever had a trim piece.  It seems logical that a manual driver’s seat wouldn’t have it either with all things being equal.  

2 hours ago, telriv said:

Gene at AB&G has repros available.  They are metal & NOT plastic so they should never need replacing again. Problem is they don't have the "Graining" as original plastic, BUT there are ways around that for satisfactory results IF your looking for perfection.

Tom T.

Tom,

I just ordered the last repro one from Gene for my '65. Not sure if he's getting more or not. Here's a picture of a '65 courtesy of Bill Mawbey. Is there a supplier for the push pins that secure the bracket?

Jim

side view.jpg

Edited by JJ62 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There are no track covers for manual seats except for the black plastic oval shaped trim piece in the area of the adjuster shaft.

Originally the carpet covered the seat anchors. It is a very common deviation from original to expose the seat pedestals by installing them over the carpeting.

Tom

2 hours ago, gungeey said:

3.jpg

Gungeey and Pat. The carpet not coming up to the stirrup was a miss cut on my part.  I have corrected that. The seam at the fisher name plate is tucked under the rear section of carpet. The rear carpet welt seam went all the way under the seat. The one on the front section of carpet just barely went under the seat and didn't lay well. I decided I liked the rear welt showing as the carpet laid and looked better. If I pull the sill plate I can lay the front welt over the rear and it would be in the correct location.

Edited by crowvet (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, JJ62 said:

Tom,

I just ordered the last repro one from Gene for my '65. Not sure if he's getting more or not. Here's a picture of a '65 courtesy of Bill Mawbey. Is there a supplier for the push pins that secure the bracket?

Jim

side view.jpg

Jim,

You should be able to get plastic auto interior push pins at a local auto parts store. I remember getting some years ago. If not, I'm sure you can get them online. I have only seen them in black. Whether there are colors I do not know. I know a fellow forum member that is doing a beautiful resto mod of a 1963. When he did his trim pieces he used stainless screws in some areas. The push pins can be problematic installing and removing. I will be installing the trim pieces on my car at some point. I think I will go the stainless screw route for ease of installation and removal. I bought the 2 left side trim pieces from Gene at AB&G also. I think I am going to cover them with vinyl to get the grained look.

Bill

• Like 1