The 70s... ahh the good ole days

The thing I remember most about growing up in the 50's and 60's was our lack of worries. We would ride our bikes for miles across Portland and the thought of being kidnapped or worse never crossed our minds. We would be out in the summer long after dark playing army and running all over the neighborhood. We had 40 kids within a block of our house and all ages got along together. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Fossil said:

The thing I remember most about growing up in the 50's and 60's was our lack of worries. We would ride our bikes for miles across Portland and the thought of being kidnapped or worse never crossed our minds. We would be out in the summer long after dark playing army and running all over the neighborhood. We had 40 kids within a block of our house and all ages got along together. 

So true... 

Our ole mans rule was simple "when the streets lights come on you better be home". 

Pretty simple and straight forward and it seemed every home had the same rule. 

It's scary what kids now days have missed out on because of all the rules, regulations and nut jobs that are out there today though...

See the source image

• Like 2

Does anyone remember street cruises  on Van Nuys Blvd in the San Fernando Valley from the late 70s?

Or the old Malibu Grand Prix off Nordhoff in Northridge?

See the source image

See the source image

2014-03-01_12h35_36.jpg

2014-03-01_12h41_08.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/27/2020 at 1:08 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

Driver:

"I'm not sure ladies... I know they were in their seats when we left"

Ahh the good ole days when parents could care less...

(Disclaimer... Yes I know it isn't the 70s.. who cares, it applies!)

See the source image

This photo has shown up several times on local (New Zealand) facebook pages.  It is generally accepted that it is 1952 publicity photo of a new AEC Mk IV bus for Christchurch Transport Board. The number looks to be 351 so it was probably taken at the Park Royal factory in London where it was built. The buses arrived off the ship in New Zealand fully assembled and ready to go, including having the destination roll fitted. These buses remained in service for over 25 years.

Of course there were lots of joke comments about the prams and kids being threatened with being left in them if they misbehaved etc.  One story that is apparently true is that one driver stopped too close to a particular railroad crossing and had the prams swept off the front by a passing train.

Of course nowadays the buses have low floors and can 'kneel' and have room inside for prams and wheelchairs. These days with an aging population there seems to be more need for space for wheelchairs - including the electric ones - and for walking frames rather than prams. The new buses that have come into service in the last few months are more 'older folks' friendly.

This Mk IV at the local historic park is one of very few survivors of the 95 of the type originally purchased -

1280px-CTB_bus_no._290.JPG

5 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

This photo has shown up several times on local (New Zealand) facebook pages.  It is generally accepted that it is 1952 publicity photo of a new AEC Mk IV bus for Christchurch Transport Board. The number looks to be 351 so it was probably taken at the Park Royal factory in London where it was built. The buses arrived off the ship in New Zealand fully assembled and ready to go, including having the destination roll fitted. These buses remained in service for over 25 years.

Of course there were lots of joke comments about the prams and kids being threatened with being left in them if they misbehaved etc.  One story that is apparently true is that one driver stopped too close to a particular railroad crossing and had the prams swept off the front by a passing train.

Of course nowadays the buses have low floors and can 'kneel' and have room inside for prams and wheelchairs. These days with an aging population there seems to be more need for space for wheelchairs - including the electric ones - and for walking frames rather than prams. The new buses that have come into service in the last few months are more 'older folks' friendly.

This Mk IV at the local historic park is one of very few survivors of the 95 of the type originally purchased -

1280px-CTB_bus_no._290.JPG

Does anyone ever stay on topic any more?

Damn... (guess the joking disclaimer at the top of the ole bus post  wasn't obvious enough for ya 🙄)

IT WAS A JOKE ! 

Please guys stay on topic or I'll shut this thread down myself. Thanks :) 

On 1/30/2021 at 10:13 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

Please guys stay on topic or I'll shut this thread down myself. Thanks :) 

But some of us (probably most of us) need lots of memory jogs when it comes to the seventies.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was talking with my brother not to long ago.

We were born in 48 and 51.

I commented that we probably came up in about the best of times.

His reply was that we will be checking out at about the right time as well.

I often am concerned about what we are leaving for our kids.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bob staehle said:

no helmet  no knee or elbow protection what are those adults thinking ??? LOL

Easy answer......Darwin! 👍

23 hours ago, bob staehle said:

Ever wonder why so many people today do such incredibly stupid things? Why they push 70 mph through heavy traffic with snow and ice on the road? Why they do 80 on the highway staring for whole minutes at their cell phone screen?

My dad put it best. He said the most important lesson he learned in life was at three years old, his grandmother (that raised him) said "do it if you want to" to his wanting to ride his tricycle really fast and unsafe on a narrow concrete walkway. So he did. He flopped off the tricycle, skinned his knees and elbows, and landed in a patch if stinging nettle plants which hurt for days! By the time he was four, he was still playing and working hard. But he had learned that if he did something beyond hard, and got into stupid territory? It was him that was going to hurt.

Yes, a good parent watches out for their child. And yes, a good parent should try to prevent their child from being seriously injured. All children NEED to be taught some boundaries! But if you teach them that everything is someone else's responsibility? If they are taught that the 'magic safety equipment' will always protect them? Their stupidity will know no boundaries.

Edited by wayne sheldon
clarified sentence. (see edit history)
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, bob staehle said:

On 1/30/2021 at 10:15 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

Or this one... 

Without floaties... imagine that !

See the source image

Pretty sure I see blood there, That would be SOP (standard operating procedure).

But the pic is B&W (black and white)

On 2/19/2021 at 8:13 AM, Bruce Winters said:

I was born in 1959. Grew up in the 70's. These pictures bring back a lot of memories. It was a great time to be a kid. 

Some say that if you remember the '70s, you didn't 'live' the '70s...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Growing up as a youngster in the upper mid-west I thought I'd seen it all....

Once I moved out west I realized how them kids took fun to a whole new level.

Those early BMX stunt riders that used to tour high schools in SoCal were incredibly talented

History-of-BMX.jpg

Bob Haro (the Godfather of freestyle) was one of the best. He was smart to wear protection with the stuff they used to do...

See the source image

See the source image

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)