The 70s... ahh the good ole days

Yes the 1970' s lots of fun and good TV shows.

It is the 40 anniversary today of who shot Jr.

You had to be at the TV at a certain time no prerecording , etc.

Good topic by the way.

Essentially all the other characters on the show were suspects. Ultimately, the person who pulled the trigger was revealed to be Kristin Shepard (Mary Crosby) in the "Who Done It?" episode which aired on November 21, 1980. Kristin was J.R.'s scheming sister-in-law and mistress, who shot him in a fit of anger. J.R.

On 11/22/2020 at 2:54 PM, Mark Gregory said:

Yes the 1970' s lots of fun and good TV shows.

It is the 40 anniversary today of who shot Jr.

You had to be at the TV at a certain time no prerecording , etc.

Good topic by the way.

Essentially all the other characters on the show were suspects. Ultimately, the person who pulled the trigger was revealed to be Kristin Shepard (Mary Crosby) in the "Who Done It?" episode which aired on November 21, 1980. Kristin was J.R.'s scheming sister-in-law and mistress, who shot him in a fit of anger. J.R.

And the cleaning woman found him shot in the November 7 episode, so they drew it out over less than a month.  Nowadays it would be the season finale cliff-hanger - we'd have to endure summer reruns and probably a couple new season episodes before finding out who shot him.

• Like 1

In the 70's I was older than the kids in the OP pic.  But I remember the 50s when a kid got a childhood disease like measles, chickenpox, etc, the assumption was it would spread - moms would visit with their kids to get them infected and "get it over with!"  Yeah, different times.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

In the 70's I was older than the kids in the OP pic.  But I remember the 50s when a kid got a childhood disease like measles, chickenpox, etc, the assumption was it would spread - moms would visit with their kids to get them infected and "get it over with!"  Yeah, different times.

I exposed my daughter to chicken pox in the early 90’s. My son had already had them. He contracted them from me when he was 4 months old. I got them at a doctor’s office bringing my son in for a check up. I got very sick and wanted to make sure that didn’t happen to my kids as adults. 

15 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

I exposed my daughter to chicken pox in the early 90’s. My son had already had them. He contracted them from me when he was 4 months old. I got them at a doctor’s office bringing my son in for a check up. I got very sick and wanted to make sure that didn’t happen to my kids as adults. 

Yeah, adults frequently get sicker from childhood diseases than kids do.  I had chickenpox and both kinds of measles as a child - don't recall any of them being that bad.  Never did have mumps though.  You may know shingles is caused by the chickenpox virus - have you had the vaccine?  I got it and haven't had shingles.  Wife had shingles - it ain't fun.

1 hour ago, CHuDWah said:

Yeah, adults frequently get sicker from childhood diseases than kids do.  I had chickenpox and both kinds of measles as a child - don't recall any of them being that bad.  Never did have mumps though.  You may know shingles is caused by the chickenpox virus - have you had the vaccine?  I got it and haven't had shingles.  Wife had shingles - it ain't fun.

No vaccine. I’ve had friends that have had it though. 

13 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

So ---

If you get Chicken Pox as a kid you get sick,

but if you get it as an adult, 

you don't get kids?

We both had Chicken Pox as kids,

saw my wife's Dad suffer with shingles,

and both have now had the Shingrix vaccine shots,

hoping that prevention is the best cure

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
3 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

So ---

If you get Chicken Pox as a kid you get sick,

but if you get it as an adult, 

you don't get kids?

We both had Chicken Pox as kids,

saw my wife's Dad suffer with shingles,

and both have now had the Shingrix vaccine shots,

hoping that prevention is the best cure

Huh?  How did you get that from what I said?

victorialynn2 said she got chickenpox as an adult and got very sick - I said that's often the case when adults get so-called "childhood diseases" like chickenpox.  It's the same virus but kids seem more resistant for some reason.  Apparently when you get the virus as a child, it stays in your system and can reappear as shingles in adulthood.  My wife and I both had chickenpox as kids.  She had shingles before there was vaccine and was miserable with it.  We both were vaccinated with Zostavax, then with Shingrix when it came out later - no more shingles so far.  Shingrix is now the prefered vaccine.

• Like 2
On 11/22/2020 at 12:14 PM, Matt Harwood said:

8adf33c6b32ae2a2242463d890dfc1ad.jpg

This really could be a photo of me and my friends. We jumped over each other with our bikes until a mother saw us doing it and lost her mind. 

We must have had the same role model ...

See the source image

See the source image

On 11/24/2020 at 4:25 PM, CHuDWah said:

Huh?  How did you get that from what I said?

victorialynn2 said she got chickenpox as an adult and got very sick - I said that's often the case when adults get so-called "childhood diseases" like chickenpox.  It's the same virus but kids seem more resistant for some reason.  Apparently when you get the virus as a child, it stays in your system and can reappear as shingles in adulthood.  My wife and I both had chickenpox as kids.  She had shingles before there was vaccine and was miserable with it.  We both were vaccinated with Zostavax, then with Shingrix when it came out later - no more shingles so far.  Shingrix is now the prefered vaccine.

Getting Chicken Pox as an adult may affect your ability to procreate

3 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Getting Chicken Pox as an adult may affect your ability to procreate

True, as can other inflammatory diseases - although the effect seems to be temporary, at least with chickenpox.  It also seems to be confined to males.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

For the record, it didn’t affect my ability to have another child. I would not recommend getting it as an adult though. I had terrible migraines for months and they even checked for a brain tumor. Luckily all was good in the end with no long term issues. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...