for Sale: 1953 Nash Ambassador - $7,800 - Stroudsburg, PA - Not Mine

for Sale:  1953 Nash Ambassador - $7,800 - Stroudsburg, PA

https://poconos.craigslist.org/cto/d/bartonsville-1953-nash-ambassador/7231606875.html

1953 Nash Ambassador (Airflyte), Pinin Farina Edition, Hydra-matic, 252, 6 cylinder, 61,216 original miles, Heater, Radio, Iconic Flying Lady hood ornament, Beautiful original 2-tone paint (Cruiser gray w/sea mist gray), Excellent original condition, Always garaged,  Runs, Clear title,  Very rare classic, Original owner's manual, Original repair manuals, Free delivery within 50 miles, Serious inquires only, please!

Copy and paste in your email:   1bbfff8c596231eebc231a7b9262a834@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this  for Sale:  1953 Nash Ambassador sedan.

'53 Nash Ambassador PA a.jpg

'53 Nash Ambassador PA b.jpg

'53 Nash Ambassador PA c.jpg

'53 Nash Ambassador PA d.jpg

'53 Nash Ambassador PA e.jpg

'53 Nash Ambassador PA f.jpg

'53 Nash Ambassador PA g.jpg

'53 Nash Ambassador PA h.jpg

'53 Nash Ambassador PA i.jpg

'53 Nash Ambassador PA j.jpg

'53 Nash Ambassador PA k.jpg

The engine question is intriguing. A now deceased friend had a full-sized Nash, I think a '53 or '54 that had only a 184 cu engine. And the late NYC jazz DJ Rich Conaty made much mention of his 1950 Nash which had a happy place of about 45 MPH. The Rambler was definitely pitched as an economy car but the full-sized Nashes seem rather luxurious in many ways.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peter S said:

The engine question is intriguing. A now deceased friend had a full-sized Nash, I think a '53 or '54 that had only a 184 cu engine. And the late NYC jazz DJ Rich Conaty made much mention of his 1950 Nash which had a happy place of about 45 MPH. The Rambler was definitely pitched as an economy car but the full-sized Nashes seem rather luxurious in many ways.

Good likelihood the full-sized Nash had its original engine replaced with an available service engine, either factory remanufacture or used replacement.  Dealers weren't all that concerned once it was a used car.  The 184 c.i. would bolt right in place of a 195 engine.    As far as the 1950 Nash Statesman ran a 184, not much engine for a car its size and weight.  The 1949 600 had a 173, must have been a gutless wonder!

the '49 looked like a zepplin and likely floated along like one -- I hadn't thought whether this represented a shift or just different marketing strategies, but the contrast between collegial Nash names like "Ambassador" and Hudson's more martial sounding WWII aircraft carrier names must have represented quite a clash of corporate cultures

Edited by Peter S
further thought (see edit history)

Hudson, even in the pre-war years, had cultivated something of a 'performance' image in its advertising.  On the other hand, Nash promoted the versatility and economy as primary reasons to own a one.  One writer characterized Nash as the auto equivalent of your old maid great aunt Edna: solid, sensible, had money in the bank...but was no fun at all!  

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Full sized Nashes did sometimes come with the small engines. A "Statesman" or it's predecessor the "600" was a full sized Nash with the small flathead engine. This design was also used in early Nash (and Hudson) Ramblers. The engine is very short, more like a four in length, and frankly you wouldn't be able to just shove some other six in there.

The Nash Ambassadors were the top of the line full size Nashes had a big overhead valve six. The nose of the car typically had to be about 8 inches longer than a Statesman to make room.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As I recall, at least in 1950, the lower series Statesman had the Flathead Six-cylinder,

while the upseries Ambassador had the OHV Six.

The "600" wassold alonside the Statesman and Ambassador through 1949, but was discontinued after the 1949 model year - at least per my aging memory.

My father's 1950 Statesman was notoriously underpowered, as Dad frequently reported, having been the replacement for our 1942 Chevrolet Special DeLuxe

The small engine, short wheelbase 600 sold through 1949 when the name changed to Statesman, both being the Series 40.   Fitting a longer dash-to-front-axle length to the shared bodies was standard practice for many medium-priced segment cars to create an upper-series model line.  AMC was one of the last to build a car that way, with the 1974 Ambassador. 

9 hours ago, Peter S said:

I sure miss Rich Conaty and his show

• Like 1