1937 Buick Special Convertible Phaeton - export model breakdown

harbitz

I read once that 1689 1937 Special Convertible Phaeton Model 40C were made - of which 256 were export models (km/h etc).

Does anyone have production number breakdowns for this car? I wonder if the right hand drive (RHD) cars are included in the 256, and how many RHD were made? Thanks.

Edited by harbitz
Word missing (see edit history)

According to the data that I have, you are almost correct on the numbers. There were 1689 1937 Buick Model 40C's produced domestically plus 256 1937 Buick Model 40CX's produced (the X denoting export models). The database does not specifically indicate if all of the 40CX were right hand drive but that would be my best guess.

I do not have access to any McLaughlin Buick of Canada production information, so there are a lot of different possibilities. I wish I had more information on this issue, but I have not ever seen any significant records regarding export models. I assume you have a right hand drive 1937 Buick 40C. Does the body data plate indicate that it was produced in the US or does it reflect that it was a McLaughlin Buick produced in Canada?

If you are not a member of the 36-38 Buick Club, I would suggest you check out the club website at: http://www.3638buickclub.org/. If you contact me through the contact the webmaster link on that site, or through a private message here on the forum and give me your email address, I will be happy to send you a sample .pdf copy of a recent club newsletter. 

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Matt,  I have a letter from GM of Canada outlining the production numbers of the 37 McLaughlin Buicks.

There is some interesting stuff in it.   Apparently no slope/slant backs, 2 door or 4 door, were made/branded as McLaughlins.

I don't think there were any closed top 60 series coupes,  only convertable rumble seats in the 60 series.

Yet I believe there were both types of coupes in the 40 series.

And yes,  there were right hand cars made for export.

Some model production numbers are very low.

Get a hold of me somehow if you want a copy.

• Like 1