Is it a Franklin?

Marjorie

My great-grandfather was a car collector from 1905-1935 when he wasn't being Mayor of Longmont, Colorado, or oil tycoon in Texas and California. I've been able to identify his Pope-Toledo, Pierce-Arrow, Locomobile, Daniels (thanks to you all), Stutz Cabriolet, and Jordan Playboy.

Can anyone out there let me know what this car is and approximately when it might have been produced? The only thing I know is the photos were taken after 1922, but of course the car could be older.  It came to a sad end, as the photos show, but as far as I know nobody was injured. The photos are scaled down to 100dpi so I could upload the three in one message--hope they're not too blurry.

Thanks for your help,

Marjorie Rodman

BradleyCAandCarTheEndPg3 100dpi.jpg

BradleyCAandCarTheEndPg2 100dpi.jpg

BradleyCAandCarTheEndPg1 100dpi.jpg

Rear end is worm drive, as can be seen when the car is upside down. Makes me think a Blackhawk or Stutz. Blackhawk is a less expensive model of Stutz.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks all for weighing in. Here's the catch--I think. The car has a badge with an old English F on the front grille. Would a Stutz have that? I discovered a photo of another car with the same badge. I thought it was the same car, but I see the front bumpers and wheels aren't the same. I have no doubt that's just the tip of the iceberg, but those two things stand out to a novice like me. I know my great-grandfather had a Franklin, so I'm hoping to have found at least one picture of it. I'm uploading a pic I posted earlier so you can see them side by side. We know Brd286 was taken in 1915 and the other was taken about 1923.

Brd286.Bradley auto stuck in Tijuana1915.jpg

I have two photos of the Stutz when it was new and after taking another look, I see it's the car that was wrecked. Sad! Thanks for helping me straighten this out. The 1915 auto is still a mystery, but at least now I can put all the photos of the Stutz together.

BradleyCAClaraCharles1929Stutz.jpg

BradleyCarAndSon.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Marjorie said:

Thanks all for weighing in. Here's the catch--I think. The car has a badge with an old English F on the front grille. Would a Stutz have that? I discovered a photo of another car with the same badge. I thought it was the same car, but I see the front bumpers and wheels aren't the same. I have no doubt that's just the tip of the iceberg, but those two things stand out to a novice like me. I know my great-grandfather had a Franklin, so I'm hoping to have found at least one picture of it. I'm uploading a pic I posted earlier so you can see them side by side. We know Brd286 was taken in 1915 and the other was taken about 1923.

Brd286.Bradley auto stuck in Tijuana1915.jpg

I suggest you post the 'Heave!' photo as a separate post. The car is something quite expensive - Locomobile(?) or Stoddard-Dayton(?) r ?? -  from circa 1912 I think.

The "F" on the front of the radiator has nothing to do with the make. It is almost certainly someone's initial. That was a popular accessory at the time...you see them most often on radiator caps but the auto accessory suppliers offered several different kinds, almost always in "Old English" letters.

Thanks all for weighing in.

I apologize for confusing things by bringing in the photo of "Heave." I located more photos of that one, and lo and behold! It's the 1911 Model 36 Pierce-Arrow my great-grandfather had loaded on the ship he sailed on to Naples, Italy, where his tour of Europe by automobile began. modela 28, you hit the  nail on the head.

JV Puleo, I appreciate your comments about the badge on the front grille. It's been driving me crazy. Good to know it has nothing to do with the make of the car.

Thanks for your suggestion, nz carnerd. I will try to keep my questions in separate posts for each car. Watch for one more soon--

On 11/28/2020 at 3:11 PM, Marjorie said:

I have two photos of the Stutz when it was new and after taking another look, I see it's the car that was wrecked. Sad! Thanks for helping me straighten this out. The 1915 auto is still a mystery, but at least now I can put all the photos of the Stutz together.

BradleyCAClaraCharles1929Stutz.jpg

BradleyCarAndSon.jpg

The second picture, a classic example of:  "A Man, His Car and His Dog"