‘46 Ford Convertible power top no-workie

JD in CA

Just got a ‘46 Convert...nice looking car, needs a few tweaks. Largest issue is the convertible top is not working.  

Any insights or past threads on getting it to work well in both directions?

With the top 3 latches undone, and manually “helping it” about 2-3 inches, when I push the lever to lower it back, nothing happens. When I pull the lever, it does close that small few inch distance. So there is a small sign of life...any starting point guidance appreciated

F0F20027-39E5-46F5-9FD3-A6CF267393CA.jpeg

I'm ignorant here. Is the Ford's top vacuum or hydraulic operated?

First thought is make sure no linkage is binding and lubricate all the pivot points.

Disconnect the actuators and if the top operates freely you've narrowed it down to the actuators. Might try wiping the cylinder rod with some hydraulic fluid.

If hydraulic, you may have to top off and bleed the pump and lines. I'm not familiar enough with vacuum cylinders to offer anything there.

I'd rather deal with this than a 1970s GM all-electric top though!

On postwar Ford's '46 thru '48 the top is hydraulically operated. You will need to trouble shoot the system to find out if it's an electrical or hydraulic problem. Do not force the top as you can not overcome the hydraulic lock up. There is a hydraulic cylinder mounted on each side of the car and the pump is mounted on the left side of the firewall. I would check and see if the pump comes on, if not start there and work your way back. Keep us posted!