A fine gift from an old-timer car guy...

A local senior, a life long vintage car lover, dropped by to visit me today.  He wanted me to have his 45 year collection of “Skinned Knuckles” magazines.  I had never heard of the magazine before. Wow! Tons of technical articles on vintage car systems. My favorite subject.

I’ve got years of reading ahead of me. I guess I’ll start at the 1975 year and progress.  His name and mailing address are on them all. 

I am floored by the generosity of the people I continue to meet in the old car hobby. 

521D9ABC-74D4-40BA-A531-CAF09482A37A.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Great magazine! I have been a subscriber since 1983 and have all but two issues. I often send articles to people, even sent one to you Keithb7! eBay often has back issues quite reasonable if one wants to fill out their collection. They once published an index covering the first 20 years or so. I have mine somewhere around here......

6CA2A728-D6F8-4BC7-9670-18B7520F9DB8.jpeg

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I had the SK collection from the #1 to the mid-90s. Lots of great information and entertainment.  In the mid-2000s I realized I hadn't looked at them for years. I made several attempts to pass them on but there were no takers so they went to landfill or recycling or whatever the current name is for dump.

Sometimes you just have to let go of stuff.

I did manage to pass on a 25 year stash of Live Steam and Home Shop Machinist to another enthusiast, though.  

Enjoy the magazines, Keith. 

One of the first things I did starting about 26 or 27 years ago when I first seriously contemplated a Brass Era project was to buy all the issues of the AACA Antique Automobile, HCCA Gazette , and AMCCA Bulb Horn I could find. 

Many , many swap meets later I now have the Gazette from about 1952 onward, Bulb Horn about 1954 - 1985, and Antique Automobile from about 1954 - 2000 or so.

The Gazette seems to be the only publication that still is a Brass car magazine. Antique Automobile is still a very good magazine but it now covers 100 years of cars . In keeping with the reality's of member preferences I find the coverage of the articles no longer even comes close to overlapping with my interests.  And I almost never see any newer Bulb Horn's here in the Pacific North West so I have no opinion about its content.

They all make a great resource , but I find from my point of view the best articles from the 1950's, 1960's are the best researched and in depth on narrow subjects. I can find lots of pretty pictures of restored cars from many sources. I don't need a glossy club magazine for that. 

Greg

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

but I find from my point of view the best articles from the 1950's, 1960's are the best researched

Another thing about those early magazine articles - sometimes they were providing first hand knowledge.  Written by someone who worked in the factory or otherwise in the industry, or just someone who was there "in the day".  You can't beat that.

• Like 2

Being a mostly technical sort of guy, to me the gold standard of books or articles would be a complete set of blueprints. Too many years of working on ships where there was always a complete set on board, invaluable to the care of any machine. Too bad most surviving pre war road vehicles don't have the drawings anymore. 

Greg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to the 1977 Buick Club of America meet held in Strongsville, Ohio, 1977. There was a man selling Skinned Knuckles magazine subscriptions and all the back issues. Never seen it before so I subscribed and scooped up all the back issues. I looked forward to that magazine and Hemmings for the rest of the century. The contributors really made that magazine.

I was one of those late 20's kids that was happy with it at the time. In later years I tried selling off the collection and, like most periodicals, I found no buyers. The information is secure. I was one of those school kids who was nagged by teachers for reading too slow. But I was reading to comprehend, any article you'd like to discuss?

Bernie

22 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I went to the 1977 Buick Club of America meet held in Strongsville, Ohio, 1977. There was a man selling Skinned Knuckles magazine subscriptions and all the back issues. Never seen it before so I subscribed and scooped up all the back issues. I looked forward to that magazine and Hemmings for the rest of the century. The contributors really made that magazine.

I was one of those late 20's kids that was happy with it at the time. In later years I tried selling off the collection and, like most periodicals, I found no buyers. The information is secure. I was one of those school kids who was nagged by teachers for reading too slow. But I was reading to comprehend, any article you'd like to discuss?

Same thing with me at the 1977 Harrah's swap meet in Reno.  Part of the deal was all the previous issues.  I've been a subscriber ever since.  I have all the issues except those loaned out which didn't come back, before I got a photocopier.  When I croak the recycler will need to drop off a 20 cu yd box.....

• Like 1

One of the younger Studebaker owners has also been entrusted with a senior member's cherished lifelong collection of historical automotive artefacts.  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/1820959-the-results-of-the-boca-raton-concours-d-elegance-part-ii

Perhaps Jake will chime in and tell us more, now that he has probably had the chance to look over a small fraction of them with all these lockdowns upon us!!

Craig

People fairly frequently try to sell collections for several hundred dollars.  There is a lot of really good repair info. these magazines.   Several years ago the publishers were trying to get a comprehensive alphabetical index

going but I don't know if they ever succeeded.

55 minutes ago, nickelroadster said:

Several years ago the publishers were trying to get a comprehensive alphabetical index

going but I don't know if they ever succeeded.

They didn't.  I think the last comprehensive index was ca. 1996.  But they do an annual index every December which I photocopy and put in a file folder--but it's a pain to search.