Did Cadillac make a 49 Woody?

Xander Wildeisen

6 hours ago, Ben P. said:

I’m away from my books on a roadtrip and am no expert (on anything) anyway, but that D-pillar in particular does not resemble anything I’ve ever seen.

I agree with the angle of the "D" pillar, something about it, also I would think that the rear side windows would have a slider for ventilation, 

Please don't get me wrong it is a real nice looking car and I like it a lot myself 

2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I like it....

I would.jpg

Love it! I think of big woody wagons as the standard transport vehicles of sanitariums and mental hospitals back in the 1950's. I'm pretty sure I got that notion from old movies. 😄 If I had that car, I'd drive it around only while wearing a white orderly's uniform.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

There was one after market body builder in particular who was known for making Cadillac station wagons, whose name I don't recall. Maybe if one was interested enough, they might delve into the origins of these '50s Cadillac wagons:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cadillac+station+wagon+1950s&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiorZjPgZHtAhULxVkKHTi7DFYQ_AUoAXoECAwQAw&biw=1280&bih=610

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

I agree with Ben and John that "D" pillar is just too thick and doesn't match the lines of the car. The Caddy "Woodie" that's on the lift in the garage has a more pleasing line to it. That being said, I still like the car and the workmanship that went into it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JamesR said:

Love it! I think of big woody wagons as the standard transport vehicles of sanitariums and mental hospitals back in the 1950's. I'm pretty sure I got that notion from old movies. 😄 If I had that car, I'd drive it around only while wearing a white orderly's uniform.

And have someone in the backseat in a straight jacket? 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bdc said:

And have someone in the backseat in a straight jacket? 🤪

Yes, and have the words "Sunnydale Home for the Criminally Insane" printed on each of the front doors. The guy in the straight jacket would curiously resemble the Sunnydale's head psychiatrist (he's yelling "Im not crazy! You're the crazy one!") and I'd have a slightly warped smile on my face.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, padgett said:

Have never had a pickup but wouldn't pass up a Caddy flower car....

I had a two Caddy flower cars over the years the problem is that the front seat is fixed and does not have much adjustment to allow for more leg room. Seems like they were built for short and skinny drivers. They are pretty cool, they have all sorts of drains built in along with storage compartments. If I remember correctly the ones I had were built by S&S 

Beautiful.  I think it is a recent build.  Doors look skinned over with the wood.  Whereas real woodie door frames around the windows are generally thicker, I think these just follow existing frames (skinned over).  Then compare the rear (fabricated?) section.  Thicker construction all around.  And what's with the radii around the door bottoms?  Don't see that on original woodie design.  Still beautiful.

On 11/22/2020 at 11:24 PM, KURTRUK said:

Beautiful.  I think it is a recent build.  Doors look skinned over with the wood.  Whereas real woodie door frames around the windows are generally thicker, I think these just follow existing frames (skinned over).  Then compare the rear (fabricated?) section.  Thicker construction all around.  And what's with the radii around the door bottoms?  Don't see that on original woodie design.  Still beautiful.

That would (no pun intended!) have been in keeping with what Chrysler did with the Town & Country hardtops in 1949 & '50.  Packard Station Sedans were also wood-skinned on the lower door panels.

Craig