Ok... its a little souped up, but still cool... (humor)

I would bet those cans do not meet AACA eligibility rules They should have use cans from C-rations from WW II like we were served  in 67/68. We use to heat them up on the exhaust manifolds. You had to put a small opening in the top of the can or they would explode. Always fun to watch a newbie that didn’t know that! 

• Like 1

There have been a few articles or roadside cooking using foil pouch meals and canned foods for those thrifty travelers who want to avoid restaurants.  On a motorcycle trip from eastern PA to Mid-Ohio race course my travel companion and I made hot dogs over burning twigs and dry leaves on the side of a rural road in West Virginia.  Gave a whole new meaning to smoked meats!

Reminded me of a couple of Crosley friends that have a small can of V8 Juice strapped on the radiator brace in their engine compartment. Then when a wise azz comes up at a car show and ask if they have V8 under the hood they say yes, a small one, and open the hood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My father and I used to do “manifold meals” with some regularity. Usually it was meat balls or sausages and some sauce wrapped in foil, and wired or rested near the exhaust or on top of the head at a stop roughly an hour before you wanted to stop and eat. We set others up to make lunch that way on a tour we were hosting once (not well received by all, but done by a few participants).  We even have a cast aluminum roaster made to mount to a model A Ford... have never used it to my knowledge as I think cleaning would be a nightmare. 

Many's the time I baked a potato in aluminum foil on an exhaust manifold-

and also reheated pizza in the cardboard box or tinfoil atop the air cleaner.

Steaks and roasts do fairly well in a pot or dutch oven if not too thick, and if in a soup mix with peeled and quartered potatoes - but havs to be wired shut, wrapped in foil, and strapped to the manifold, then turned several times to cook evenly - ask me how I know - but works well for overnight camping 

Before my wife and I retired, we worked in education so we had a couple weeks off between Christmas and New Year to take a vacation.  We'd put some sandwiches, whatever on the defroster when we left in the morning - the food would be nicely warmed by the time we stopped for lunch.

Way back when, there was an after-market accessory manifold cooker made to fit a model T Ford engine. Originals were very rare, but I read an article about them about forty years ago. Since that article, someone made reproductions of that original accessory, and sold them through the club's magazine and eventually through some of the model T parts suppliers. Someone in the club also published a small recipe book for manifold cooking.

It has been awhile since I have seen anything about it, but for a few years, one of the club chapters in the mid-West made it a club thing to have manifold cooking tours. They swapped recipes and held potluck dinners that way. 

Most of the cooking is done wrapped in foil, or uses some other container to minimize necessary cleaning. Cans of chili or other foods can have a single small hole punched in the top to vent and prevent messy explosions, and put in the cooker. Whatever you do, do NOT put unvented cans on or near the exhaust manifold unless you want to clean up a nasty mess!

I have wanted to give it a try myself, but it is one of the many things I can't seem to get around to.

Many years ago, I had a coworker that worked with me often, he sometimes would put his pre-prepared lunch (wrapped in foil) on the truck's manifold to cook between service calls.