1936 Pontiac side mount covers and fenders

aristech

Over the many years in the hobby including 44 years in Hemmings,I just can't picture ever seeing sidemounts for mid thirties Pontiacs. Buick stuff surfaces every now and then but that seems to be all. No Pontiac later than 1933 is pictured in the big Crestline Pontiac book or the Car Spotters Guide with sidemounts. I think you might be looking for hen's teeth with gold fillings. If it comes down to having to build a set,maybe I could help. I do have a 36 Buick front welled fender,I think right side but I didn't go out and look. It's the Roadmaster so it's got a bigger well than the other smaller series. I did have the well from the other side,saved from a junk fender,but not sure if it's still around or not. Maybe these wells could be grafted into your fenders. The depression was still on so GM may have scrimped and made some of these fenders interchangable to save on stamping machines. I also have a pair of full sidemount covers with Oldsmobile emblems. One side has some rustout. Not sure of year,1931? to whatever. Give your ad some time,maybe something will rattle down out of the loft of a barn somewhere,but if not,keep this stuff in mind. 

• Like 1

Here is my passenger side fender for a 1936 Pontiac six. I know it was and option to have one/dual or no side mounts on the Pontiac. And I have attached a 36 Pontiac convertible. With a side mount. There has to have been some out there that were purchased. 

4D9A9517-BC66-47D1-8F46-6F972B16294E.jpeg

32934C29-3226-47C1-9484-100A7F96184F.jpeg

7B148673-FFF2-4AF7-9FFC-B2C4A67527CF.jpeg

4A99B72A-742F-427E-949B-0EF40F3C6624.jpeg

C1DD4990-AD9B-4F21-979C-97335B4F5F46.jpeg

71E7B2B9-05CB-4185-8DA4-6A9D470178BC.jpeg

5F619B54-BF9A-4566-8CF1-727681AE7D0A.jpeg

06E89EC2-9890-4848-9622-0F187F39B3D8.jpeg

I checked the Hollander Interchange Manual and Pontiac,Olds,Buick and Chevy all had different numbers so it doesn't look like an easy bolt-on interchange. If you have the 8 cyl car then I'm guessing it took a larger tire than the 6 and so the well has to be bigger as I'm sure you're aware. One of the problems always is that someone may have them but has no idea what they fit or will never see an ad here. If you're not a member of the Pontiac-Oakland club that would be a good place to be. Dedicated members with similar interests is a big advantage. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just want to try and keep the topic fresh . I have been doing lots of research on the side mount for the 1936 Pontiac 8. I see side mounts were offered . But cannot find any Brochures that show a Pontiac with a side mount on it. Anyone have any thoughts pics etc. The 1936 cabriolet has a 1934 Pontiac side mount cover on it. I was using as a reference but now  I can't because it is not correct. 1934-pontiac-eight-1jzmnk2ve-1-780x520.jpg

Bob Shafto and Andy Lee's 1936 Pontiac restoration document says this:

Since the wheelbase of the DeLuxe Eights was four inches longer than the sixes (116" vs. 112"), the front fenders and hood on the eights are also four inches longer. If you're looking for replacement fenders or hood panels, be sure you specify which series you need since they are not interchangeable.        

The literature says that the six-wheel configuration was available on the Eights and the DeLuxe Six coupes and cabriolets, although a Master Six 4—door touring sedan in GM’s collection has the 6-wheel option, probably incorrectly? These cars came equipped with two sidewell fenders and are extremely rare today.

http://www.badgoat.net/Early%20Times/36%20Restoration%20Guidebook%20Feb_06.htm

Thanks @Bloo for the information and pictures. Well if it was easy everyone would be doing it LOL. The sidemount I ave looks just like the one on the 1936 Pontiac Superior Ambulance. Knowing the fender is larger on the 8 helps me greatly with my plans to use the is fender I have. 

Yeah they just put all the extra length in the hood to accommodate the eight, As far as I know the cowl is the same or real close. As I recall, if you look on a fender at the shape of the area where it bolts to the cowl, you can tell a 6cyl fender from an 8cyl fender pretty easily.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Folks,

I have a 36 Master 6 Coupe.  I am restoring it and was hoping to find side mount assembiles (fenders, wheel mounting brackets and wheel covers).  I know that I am looking for "hen's teeth" but by chance someone may have one or two of these hard to find items I would certainly be ever grateful for any assistance in locating one or both of the assemblies.  It would be hard to fabricate these items without one for pattern(s).  but if someone has a 36 Pontiac Master 6 Coupe with a side mount, I would be deeply appreciative if they could get in touch with me and I could get measurments if I cannot find any for sale.  A tough quest, I know, but hopefully I will get someone who may have them or a car with the side mount fender(s) and brackets that can be measured for patterns to duplicate them.

Thank you.

Randall (Randy) Lockett

randy@americanarbortreeservice.com

(760) 754-3166

I am in Oceanside, California and any help I can get on this quest will be deeply appreciated.

Randy