speedometer jumping all over the place when cold

handmedownreatta

Reatta does not have a "speedometer" cable.    

Signal goes from the transmission output to the ECM to the BCM then to the instrument cluster. 

Someplace in that string of connectors something is bad 

• Like 1

Very interesting timing on this subject.

About 4 years ago I was driving a '90 Maui I bought from Kingsley and was making a U turn and there was a clunk and the transmission went bad. The speedometer quit and with no speedometer the computer would not allow the transmission to shift.

The car sat all this time and just yesterday I pulled the transmission to replace it.

Here are pictures of what I found.

Jim

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

Edited by Jim
clearer picture (see edit history)

2seater,

I replaced the fuzzy picture with a better one and yes it is the passenger side output.

Padgett, 

I was thinking the same as what you said, that the transmission would still shift so maybe what I was thinking was at the time about 4 years ago when it went out, I asked a neighbor, a transmission guy about the speedometer not working and he said something must have broke in that area. He was certainly right. It has been a while so my memory is foggy but I remember having to quit driving that car at the time because of transmission problems, not just the speedo. Obviously it was also leaking a lot of trans fluid.

I do have a hoist and borrowed a trans jack and took my time changing it myself. I have dismantled about 50 Reattas so know how to change one but for step by step I used a factory shop manual and that way I got everything disconnected without the usual lowering the trans just to find something still hooked up.

I mention this though, as the manual said to leave in the passenger side axle shaft. That was a mistake. It was always in the way working on that side and then the same putting the trans back in. Shaft in the way. I got disgusted and removed the axle shaft and that made it easier.

After finding I had kinked/caused a hole in a cooling line and fluid all over the floor and the first test drive with not enough fluid the car, it now runs good and will be my winter driver with stock wheels and tires.

maui#89a.JPG

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jim said:

2seater,

I replaced the fuzzy picture with a better one and yes it is the passenger side output.

Padgett, 

I was thinking the same as what you said, that the transmission would still shift so maybe what I was thinking was at the time about 4 years ago when it went out, I asked a neighbor, a transmission guy about the speedometer not working and he said something must have broke in that area. He was certainly right. It has been a while so my memory is foggy but I remember having to quit driving that car at the time because of transmission problems, not just the speedo. Obviously it was also leaking a lot of trans fluid.

I do have a hoist and borrowed a trans jack and took my time changing it myself. I have dismantled about 50 Reattas so know how to change one but for step by step I used a factory shop manual and that way I got everything disconnected without the usual lowering the trans just to find something still hooked up.

I mention this though, as the manual said to leave in the passenger side axle shaft. That was a mistake. It was always in the way working on that side and then the same putting the trans back in. Shaft in the way. I got disgusted and removed the axle shaft and that made it easier.

After finding I had kinked/caused a hole in a cooling line and fluid all over the floor and the first test drive with not enough fluid the car, it now runs good and will be my winter driver with stock wheels and tires.

maui#89a.JPG

Nice wheels on that Maui Jim! If you ever want to sell them?

On 11/20/2020 at 4:47 PM, Jim said:

will be my winter driver with stock wheels and tires.

I thought you weren't a great fan of stock Reatta wheels.  Somewhere I remember a photo of a pickup full of used wheels on its way to the metal recycler.🙃

I am not a fan of the stock wheels but the ones in the picture on he blue car I put on a different car a few years ago and then sold that car so the only wheels and tires I have left are some stock ones.

I do have the same wheels on my wife's driftwood convertible but I would be in a lot of trouble if I took them off her car and ran them in MN winters with the salt.

The wheels are from a late '90s Cadillac STS and are plentiful in the junk yards. My local yard has several but then I would need to get some 16 inch tires and this blue car is just a winter driver anyway.

drift5.jpg

drift1.jpg

drift6.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/21/2020 at 8:48 PM, Retired w/Reatta said:

I thought you weren't a great fan of stock Reatta wheels.  Somewhere I remember a photo of a pickup full of used wheels on its way to the metal recycler.🙃

Twice I took a full pickup load of wheels to the scrap yard and have about 50 ready to go now but back then wheels were worth about $ 20 each just for scrap but right now here in Duluth they are going for 30 cents a pound and that makes them worth only a little over $ 7 each. I will just sit on them.

On a side note, catalytic converters are worth quite a bit now.
I brought several of them to the recycling place and got $ 80 each for the stock originals.

Interesting. Have always thought the stock wheels before 91 were too small (even a Fiero had 7" wheels on the GT) and 16x7" were plentiful. Had a set of Enkeis soon after purchase of 88 in '01  with 225x60/16 Michelins. These may wind up on an Allante since not sure how many 16x7 Snowflakes I have.

enkei.jpg

I was at a garage sale three months ago and they had a set of those same wheels in 17 inch for $ 20 for the set of four.

I bought them because who can pass up four nice wheels for $ 20.

The didn't fit a Reatta but did fit my '65 GTO.

I decided to sell them and put them on Facebook Marketplace and sold them right away. Made 10%. Well maybe my math isn't too good. :)

I looked back and found a picture and see now mine were slightly different.

120110085_2675157656083821_8628466123274010124_o.jpg

Edited by Jim (see edit history)