1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire 4 speed restoration

On 1/31/2021 at 10:00 AM, Roger Zimmermann said:

By the way, jensenracing77, do you have maybe some parts for sale? A friend of mine is searching for his '62 F-85 (not so nice as yours) a RH lower front suspension arm. Could you have that?

I think I seen his post looking for one on Facebook. I have one but it is on a parts car and will be another month or two before I would have time to pull it. There was another guy on Facebook that had one. 

Got my hood back. It had some places that looked like cracks in the paint. You couldn't see it unless you were in the light just right. He said it was not actually any cracks and was just that the clear had shrunk causing what I was seeing. The hood is the only thing that had done it. He said he had to clear it again and then buff because he was scared he would buff through the other clear. I know very little about paint and may have quoted him wrong some. I know he said the problem was shrinkage though. Looks great now.

IMG_4975.JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Roger Zimmermann said:

Shrinking clear coat? Does not sound very good. Effectively, by buffing the clear coat through, there is only one solution: redo the color and clear coat. Hope for you that the hood is now good! 

I have heard of paint shrinking as it cures but just not sure why it only done it on the hood. 

It was not actually cracks, just looked like it. He scuffed and painted and then buffed. I have heard of paint shrinking after a paint job many times on forums. Just never experienced it. I know nothing about it myself and looks great now so we will see. If it comes back he will fix it without a problem. 

Not much work on the car getting done right now but trying to clean up the basement. It is a disaster from dragging all the parts back out to the garage and other projects I was doing. Gathered most of my extra turbo systems into one place now. I have 4 other extra systems than these and then the two systems on our cars, lol. Some of these are only for parts but some of them are really good cores. 

IMG_5008.JPG

• Like 1

What would be VERY cool to see at MCACN one year is one of Bob Ashton's 'theme circles' for "pressurized intake" cars, including yours, plus an F-series '57 Ford, a '63 Studebaker SuperLark, '64 Corvair, '66 Shelby Cobra, '79 Buick Regal, and a '87 GNX.  It would show the evolution of turbo and supercharging that is almost 'the norm' today.

Craig 

It looks done but I still have lots to do to it. Some parts are still off being zinc plated, a couple bugs need worked on that are minor, Some testing and tuning. The fluid Injection is still not hooked up. I did drive it about 6 miles and there are no rattles or wind noise! I was happy about the wind noise because I reused the original 1962 weatherstripping. I thought that I may have to replace the driver side roof rail weatherstrip but it is sealing up good. 

157210839_10225777196436811_311323227927826399_o.jpg

157264098_10225777195036776_9078706445870519347_o.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

What would be VERY cool to see at MCACN one year is one of Bob Ashton's 'theme circles' for "pressurized intake" cars, including yours, plus an F-series '57 Ford, a '63 Studebaker SuperLark, '64 Corvair, '66 Shelby Cobra, '79 Buick Regal, and a '87 GNX.  It would show the evolution of turbo and supercharging that is almost 'the norm' today.

Craig 

Now that would be really cool! A progression of boosted technology. 

4 minutes ago, jensenracing77 said:

Now that would be really cool! A progression of boosted technology. 

I also mentioned it to Ed George.  Perhaps you and him can run the idea by Bob, and see if he likes the plan.  

I'm sure the crowd would like to see those turbocharger and supercharger-equipped cars grouped in a circle.

Craig

33 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

I also mentioned it to Ed George.  Perhaps you and him can run the idea by Bob, and see if he likes the plan.  

I'm sure the crowd would like to see those turbocharger and supercharger-equipped cars grouped in a circle.

Craig

I just sent that to him in an email. I think it would be a cool idea. Not sure he could make it happen this year or not but in the future. 

• Like 1