1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire 4 speed restoration

21 hours ago, jensenracing77 said:

I had it there in the Barn find section in 2016. I already have the forms in to take it in 2021 as a restored car. 

Today, I would be landing in Chicago, if this was a more normal year!  And now that I see your photo with all the dust on it, I remember seeing the car in 2016.

I'll definitely be back there next year!!

Craig

• Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 7:41 PM, jensenracing77 said:

There were 3765 total Jetfire cars made in 1962 and only 203 were 4 speed. This is the only known factory 4 speed left. There was another one but sadly it burned up in a forest fire. 

Is there really one one known stick car out of 203?  Wow.

I'm in awe of restoration threads like this.    It almost makes you think it is easy to do.

On 11/19/2020 at 8:41 AM, alsancle said:

Is there really one one known stick car out of 203?  Wow.

I'm in awe of restoration threads like this.    It almost makes you think it is easy to do.

Only one factory 4 speed known of. There are some others that people converted to 4 speed. Who knows, another one could be found someday stashed away in a garage or barn like this one was. There was none known of for a few years till this one was found. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jensenracing77 said:

Only one factory 4 speed known of. There are some others that people converted to 4 speed. Who knows, another one could be found someday stashed away in a garage or barn like this one was. There was none known of for a few years till this one was found. 

If all goes well, I'm looking forward to seeing it!

MCACN is THE place to see all the one-of-a-kind, and low production muscle cars, and should not be missed!

Craig

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Roger Zimmermann said:

Impressive restoration. I'm sure the paint from the factory was not as well done as yours. The design of those Pontiac-Olds-Buick always pleased me. Of course, I never saw a Jetfire in Switzerland; I doubt that this model was exported.

Very few were exported but I believe there is one in Switzerland. I sold some Jetfire parts to a guy there a couple years back. 

• Thanks 1

Camshaft break-in day. After 30 minutes I had no leaks but I do have a starter problem. I will have to pull it off and rebuild it again and see what I missed. It is doing the exact same thing it did before I took the car apart. I put an NOS solenoid on it and thought that was the problem. The old one was really rusty and bulging from the coil area. It will not always engage the flywheel. I must have overlooked something because starters are not that hard....

• Like 3

Now that the engine is running I decided to start working on the front of the car. I have NOS emblems but these originals cleaned up so nice I can hardly tell a difference between these and the NOS ones. I will just keep the NOS ones in the box. You never know, maybe I will find another one to restore and need them for that car. I installed the headlight assemblies and tested them, They work just like they should

IMG_4519.JPG

IMG_4538.JPG

12 hours ago, MikeC5 said:

What a thorough job you're doing.  It looks great!  That is an uncommon but beautiful color.  

Thanks. I just happen to have two this color. The one on the trailer is this car the day I brought it home from its over 40 year hibernation. The other one is my wifes and is an automatic and original paint. 

DSCN3258.JPG

• Like 4

In Your first picture, I see a Cushman scooter.

Were You able to save it as well?

Nice work on the Jetfire.  I remember several of these, coming into my Fathers auto repair shop, in the early 1960's.  Most of the original owners didn't understand the workings of the engine. They purchased the cars new; and the new car dealerships didn't explain that these were quite different than their earlier Oldsmobile's.   

intimeold

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

Great job. What is the jet fluid for?  Mike

These engines were 10.25 compression and then the boosted roughly 6 PSI. The pump gas was not good enough to run it during boost mode. The "Turbo Rocket Fluid" was just like modern water injection like the aftermarket "Boost Juice" Snow system. It is a mixture of distilled water and methanol with a little water soluble oil.  It injected during boost mode and as the water evaporated it would soak up the hot air to prevent detonation. 

IMG_9282.JPG

IMG_9283.JPG

6 hours ago, intimeold said:

In Your first picture, I see a Cushman scooter.

Were You able to save it as well?

Nice work on the Jetfire.  I remember several of these, coming into my Fathers auto repair shop, in the early 1960's.  Most of the original owners didn't understand the workings of the engine. They purchased the cars new; and the new car dealerships didn't explain that these were quite different than their earlier Oldsmobile's.   

intimeold

Did not get the Cushman sadly. Yes, lots of these had to be worked on when they came out. That is why they only made them two years. With some modern materials and understand of what went wrong, they actually can be really reliable now. Well, that and the fact that they don't get driven on a daily basis these days.  

8 hours ago, jensenracing77 said:

These engines were 10.25 compression and then the boosted roughly 6 PSI. The pump gas was not good enough to run it during boost mode. The "Turbo Rocket Fluid" was just like modern water injection like the aftermarket "Boost Juice" Snow system. It is a mixture of distilled water and methanol with a little water soluble oil.  It injected during boost mode and as the water evaporated it would soak up the hot air to prevent detonation. 

IMG_9282.JPG

IMG_9283.JPG

So what do you use today, I can’t imagine there could be much rocket fluid left if any at all 

6 hours ago, Tate said:

So what do you use today, I can’t imagine there could be much rocket fluid left if any at all 

Just mix it ourselves. 50/50 distilled water and methanol and add 1% by volume a water soluble oil. I use a water soluble thread cutting oil from NAPA. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/10/2021 at 1:58 PM, jensenracing77 said:

Yes, lots of these had to be worked on when they came out. That is why they only made them two years. With some modern materials and understand of what went wrong, they actually can be really reliable now.

Interesting you fellas should mention this. I just happened to watch this the below video last night, and Iain Tyrrell mentioned there were some problems with the turbo version of this engine while it was still being made by GM, but I wasn't aware of that. I knew British makers used it after that time, though, and that's mostly the context the video refers to the engine in. Might be interesting to watch if you haven't seen it yet.

Rover SD1 Vitesse - American V8 Power Meets British Engineering | Tyrrell's Classic Workshop - YouTube

I really love your Jetfires and admire the craftsmanship on your project. I fell in love with the F-85's when I bought my 1963 Dynamic 88 way back when and  - for some reason - the 1963 Olds shop manual had the full size cars and the F-85 together complete in one manual. Don't know if they did that in '62, also. It made for a slightly confusing manual, but also some great education on a very interesting car with a very unique engine. 

Just a little more work today. I started digging out some of the NOS stuff for the front of the car. I have NOS headlight housings, grills, washer jar, parking light assemblies, bumper guards, and other little odds and ends. Hard to believe how dirty NOS parts get from years of storage even in the boxes. Had to take the parking light assemblies apart and detail them. Also had to polish the lenses. Also installed the tank and fluid bottle holder. Still waiting on a few things before I can put the float in the tank. Going to try to get the front bumper brackets painted later today and install it tomorrow.

IMG_4628.JPG

IMG_4629.JPG

IMG_4635.JPG

• Like 1