FAQ topics or a technical library?

Hey Peter,

I was wondering if it would be possible to pin certain posts to the top of several forums at once for reference. For example, just over the weekend we had two different questions on "hard starting with a 6 volt system." The answer is almost always the same and that very question comes up several times a week. Nobody uses the search function, they just start a new post. Maybe we can help them out and streamline traffic a bit.

If I write a post detailing the problem and familiar solutions, can it be pinned to the top of several forums, maybe General, Technical, Buick Pre- and Post-War, CCCA, maybe Mopar? Any place people go to ask about a hard starting 6V car. I think it would save a lot of people a lot of time because the solution is almost always the same.

Is that something that can be done and that you think won't clutter the forums? I don't think everything needs a sticky, but that question is so common (along with the "switch to disc brakes" question and the "12 volt upgrade" issue) that maybe having a place where those frequently asked questions have answers that are easy for newcomers to spot. I've noticed that some forums have a "Tech FAQ" section where noteworthy and common posts end up so they're easy to find. Although with the lack of searching that's apparent, I wonder if that would be futile?

What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Im not a fan of pinned posts that are not short lived.

People ignore pinned like advertisements.

They also are a distraction.  Imagine 10-15 pinned posts, requiring you to scroll to find the first new post.

Also, where do you stop?  I can think of dozens (and dozens and dozens) of topics that could also be considered valuable.

I'm not adverse to a "Tech FAQ" forum. We already have a "Technical" forum.  How a "Commonly Asked Technical Questions" sub-forum under "Technical"?  

• Like 1

Several years ago members of the Reatta forum wanted something similar to what Matt is requesting. With the guidance of the forum members, I created a sticky topic in the Reatta forum that lists frequently needed information about the Buick Reatta. It has worked out well for us.  When a routine question is asked we just refer them to the "Reatta Resources & Quick Reference Guide" for the answer instead of answering it over and over again.

Maybe something similar could be done in the Technical forum or a "Commonly Asked Technical Questions" sub-forum as suggested.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/303028-reatta-resources-quick-reference-guide/

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'll defer to Peter's discretion here. He's probably right that pinned posts eventually become background noise.

I think the suggestion of a "Commonly Asked Technical Questions" would be a great alternative and hopefully it would be a reference like the Reatta quick-reference guide. Is there a way to moderate it so that sub-forum doesn't fill up with regular technical questions? I don't know who would supervise it or judge what is "worthy" of being included as a common topic, but it would quickly become useless if it fills up with very specific questions like "What size bolt is used to hold down the distributor on my 1921 Finster Fireburner?"

Peter is the decision maker on this and he knows best about what would work.

With so many brands represented on this forum I believe a reference guide thread would have to be locked and only moderators would be able to move or copy posts worthy of saving. I think it would be chaos if you opened it up to question and answer sessions.

A thread like that is useful for being able to refer someone to the thread to find answers to frequently asked questions but you would have to stick to the basics like "hard starting with a 6 volt system". It would quickly get out of hand if you tried to cover all the bases. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can think of a handful of fairly universal topics right off the bat. These get discussed frequently and the solutions are universally acknowledged and common to most makes and models. In order to stave off lengthy discussions and digressions, none of them are particularly controversial on this forum:

• 6-volt starting issues (and maybe a separate but related topic on 8/12-volt conversions)
  • Disc brake "upgrades"
  • Radials vs. bias ply tires
  • Ethanol gas issues and solutions
  • Gas gauge diagnosis and repair (simple)
  • LED lighting
  • Running hot/overheating issues

Those are just off the top of my head and we could either start new topics with maybe a week for contributions before it's locked or we could find existing threads that cover the issues thoroughly and simply link them to the FAQ. I'd be willing to contribute either new material or search for relevant posts, whatever will work best and cause the least trouble for Peter. I don't think there will be much debate over most of these but I also don't want to be the only guy preaching the answers, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the feedback, I hope this can turn into something useful.

Creating a "Commonly Asked Technical Questions" sub-forum under the "Technical" forum would work well if you have one locked thread for the FAQ pinned at the top.  That would allow some control over the amount and validity of information added to the FAQ.

With the FAQ pinned to the top, the rest of the forum could be used as an are where members could make submissions to be added to the FAQ, (moderator would move or copy them to the FAQ). And it would be a place where members could post topics to discuss the FAQ and ask questions about it.  That way the discussions about the FAQ wouldn't clutter up the FAQ.

Good item for the FAQ would be: "Troubleshooting an engine that won't start." - Basic instructions on how to check for spark, fuel, compression, ignition timing, ect.