My second 55 Buick

Mudbone

The second 55 Buick I purchased in Denver while I was at Tech school. I was reading the classifieds and spotted this 55 Special 4dr sedan ($350.00) (Remember I am from IL. Everything is rusted from salt around here.) I had to control my excitement when I saw this thing. The car had been in the family since new and was passed down to the grand kids but it was no longer cool, so it was up for sale. After driving the car I noticed trans fluid on the ground. Before I could say a thing, he said I will let you have for $250.00! I couldn’t get my money out of my pocket fast enough! My roommate and I talked to our teacher about working on the car on the weekend at school. He said he would be there anyway so bring it in. We purchased the front trans seal. And set to work replacing it. After that, a tune up in engine class and I got credit for working on my own car!

55Special004.jpg

55Special005.jpgA.jpg

55Special008.jpg

• Like 6

Sue flew out in the spring (1974) and we went for a drive in the mountains. Unfortunately as we were coming into a small town a small stake truck crossed the line and sideswiped me. I couldn’t get out of his way fast enough. I found a body shop that was willing to take on the job, but he said I would have to find a new tail light. (That is a another story)

55Special002.jpg

55Special003.jpgA.jpg

55Special009.jpgA.jpg

• Like 5

My roommate and I went to the local salvage yard and they just got in a 55 special 2dr hardtop. It was maroon with a white roof. He said he would have it off for me the next day. When we stopped back to pick it up I was horrified! They cut the entire end section of the fender off! This car was rust free! I wanted to cry! It was getting close to Christmas break and we were going to head back to IL. The body shop had the paintwork done and said if you want to come over and install the taillight housing we could. We went over installed the housing made sure the lights worked. We paid him $150 for the repair and dropped off my roommate’s car at the apartment and grabbed our clothes and left for IL. We went through a few snow storms and I was worried about the fresh paint.

55Special010.jpg

55Special011.jpg

• Like 5

We made it to IL. and back with no problems. Summer of 1974 I graduated, Sue flew out for the graduation and we drove home again with no problems. With a wedding planned the car had to go. I did not want to drive it in the winter salt. I decided to re-paint the red as it was fading. I also ordered a set of Porta Walls from JC Whitney. I sold the car for $800.00. About a month later someone told me the guy totaled the car and it was sitting in a junk yard near Chicago. I just couldn’t go see it even though I could have gotten some real nice parts off of it. I just had to put it behind me. Number two is gone forever. All I have left is the License Plate! Colorado AV-156220201120_191121.thumb.jpg.e0a264f898475eae43a6889e78979fc0.jpg

55Special012.jpg

55Special013.jpg

55Special014.jpgA.jpg

Edited by Mudbone (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1