Please Respond Brake Problem!!!!

I have a 1978 Olds Delta 88 royale. When i press the brakes it goes all the way down to floor and does nothing. I looked to see if there was a leak but there was no leak and the inside the master cylider it was full with brake fluid. Do I need a new master cylider????

FIRST, look inder the car after it has been setting for a while to see if there is anything leaking. If NO leaks then it sounds like a bad master cylinder. Try pumping up the brake. When it goes to the floor just pump on the pedal to see if it will give some braking effect.

Packard V8's right. I would only add that there could be wheel cylinder leaks that aren't obvious unless you do a <span style="font-style: italic">lot</span> of pumping. If you can't get the brakes to "pump up" (get a relatively firm pedal after pumping several times), recheck for a full reservior and for leaks at the wheels and joints. If they do "pump up", your master is definately bad. If not, you <span style="font-style: italic">might</span> have more than one problem, so re-check for leaks.

A quick check for a "bypassing" master cylinder is to stomp on the brake pedal HARD with your foot. If resistance is felt (and often a hard pedal), try applying normal or light foot pressure. If the pedal now goes to the floor without noticable resistance, your master cylinder is bypassing and needs to be rebuilt or replaced. This assumes that there are no obvious or subtle leaks.

I rebuilt the wheel cylinders on my '37 Chrysler, bled the system and had a fair brake pedal for a few days. Once the car sat for a week or so, I had no pedal and it took close inspection to determine that all cylinders were seeping. Once all cylinders were replaced, I've had no further brake problems. Although my old cylinders looked fine (no pitts, etc.), apparently they had been honed one time too many!

Something similar has happened to me on two cars (87 Olds and 91 Camaro). You would press down on the brake pedal but nothing would happen. In both cases it was the power brake booster. They cost about $90 and are a pain to install (heavily advise removing the front seat so you can wedge under the dash easily).