need shackle and bushing help

36humpback

I'm replacing my rear spring shackles and bushings.  The shackle goes on ok on the hanger side, but I cant get the bushing to start in the spring side.  There is quite a bit of wear, and I don't want to force the bushing in and screw it up.  Is there anything I can do short of replacing the spring itself. (ream out or rethread the inside of the spring etc?) Thanks in advance.  Bob

rear spring.jpg

Hi Bob, springs are heat treated, If this was mine, I would not be comfortable building up and reaming it...

Safety first, therefore I would replace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surf City '38 said:

Hi Bob, springs are heat treated, If this was mine, I would not be comfortable building up and reaming it...

Safety first, therefore I would replace.

thanks for your input.  I'm working with my supplier to see if the bushing is the wrong size for the eye.  He may have some available that would fit and still screw tight to the shackle.

IMHO  The eye needs to be fixed somehow before you press in the bushings.  When you are into the springs they need to be perfect if you ever expect the car to steer and ride correctly.  This is the beginning of sorting your alignment.

The spring is ok for a driver.....not for the racetrack. The bushing needs to be pressed in or pulled in with a bolt and washer set up, putting a tapered edge to lead it in is fine........but remember it must be square going in, or there will be hell to pay trying to get it all the way in. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

The bushing are standard sizes and will need to be pressed in . . .

I see the remnants of thread markings on the inside of that spring eye, so I suspect that the bushings on this are the “Silent-U” style that Chrysler products used for quite a few years in the 1930s, 40s and possibly into the 50s.

Doesn’t change the fact that the best way forward would be to replace the spring leaf that has the eye.

9 hours ago, jpage said:

The eye is pretty badly worn, and too, I would suggest replacement. The silent 'U' bushings are screwed in and can be a tight fit.

thanks all for the info and suggestions.  If I replace the spring, is it best to replace both of them?  Or do they not "lose" any of their springiness? thanks again.

I took a ruler to mine at the center point of each spring on the bottom to the floor....had to replace all 4 corners, I had more than 1" diff from each corner, but I'm a bit extreme.