Question about HPOF Judging.

KingKoser6405

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question for the show car guys. I have a client who is the original owner of an all original 1996 Camaro Z28 Convertible. I've known about the car for years and have serviced it and helped maintain its originality. Even though the car is unbelievably original, the owner very rarely did the owner ever want to show it. 

That was until he tagged along to go to the Gettysburg gathering for the Hershey event. My shop and client are local to Hershey (a few towns over in Mount Joy) and we were thinking of showing the car at the next Hershey show. We decided to put it in the HPOF class to get a first HPOF, and then go on to hopefully get an HPOF Original award. My question to you all is, do they evaluate HPOF cars at a big show like Hershey? After doing some research and consulting last years judging guidelines on the AACA website, It didn't sound like that class gets evaluated at a Grand National like Hershey. I could be wrong however. If they don't get evaluated there, what event would that be?

I've been around the AACA for a long time, but this would be the first time I would be actually showing a car, so forgive the ignorance. I am just looking to get pointed in the right direction so I can have a more complete plan to present to the owner.

Attached are a few pictures of the car. 

Thank you kindly,

Alex

125550542_666645434048524_2790990389666178979_n.jpg

125560937_286545549319375_5534504698377871323_n.jpg

125563100_366593884411092_1165587686692049653_n.jpg

126041653_4910912168982379_3689083702965962428_n.jpg

• Like 1

I guess one has to color me confused.  I though AACA was 25 years old, though I have a hard time with that, I do math in my spare time.  1996 plus 25 means it’s not an “antique” until 2021, and though being an old codger that still doesn’t add up for me.

Beautiful car, great condition, love it  and all that,  this is what will make the AACA flourish.

Still, that’s an antique car?  Oh well, I love all cars and glad hobby is moving forward.

• 3 weeks later...

Alex,

I am not a big show guy preferring to tour. I came to Hershey this year for the Hershey Hangover Tour in my 1911 Ford. We went to the AACAMUSEUM for lunch and stopped at Hershey world where I walked up to my flea market spot by the stadium. It was sad to see an empty parking lot.  Anyway I have shown a few cars in DPC and HPOF. The HPOF was a 1984 Tioga Motorhome we use to stay while vending at Hershey. I entered in the show and dressed up like Cousin Eddie in Christmas Vacation complete with a sewer hose. It was fun and handy to have the Motorhome in the field when it rained. I got a HPOF certification and then the next year took to Auburn for a HPOF Original Certification. I also have a 1996 Buick Roadmaster my Dad bought new and babied and plan to take it to 2021 Auburn to be class judged as I think it is First Junior material. You may want to consider that with your friends Camaro if it is nice enough after clean up and detailing. Depends on the condition. You can alway go for HPOF certification which is what I will do after trying the judged route. I have seen several very nice all original 80’s and 90’s car judged and receive First Junior and later Senior. Even had a local Cincinnati guy I met at Auburn with 1989 Cadillac Deville previously owned by little old lady who only drove it to church get his Senior and then took it to a Grand National meet.  Like others have said, Hershey is regular National meet not a Grand National so you have a couple choices in options. 

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/15/2020 at 5:13 PM, KingKoser6405 said:

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question for the show car guys. I have a client who is the original owner of an all original 1996 Camaro Z28 Convertible. I've known about the car for years and have serviced it and helped maintain its originality. Even though the car is unbelievably original, the owner very rarely did the owner ever want to show it. 

That was until he tagged along to go to the Gettysburg gathering for the Hershey event. My shop and client are local to Hershey (a few towns over in Mount Joy) and we were thinking of showing the car at the next Hershey show. We decided to put it in the HPOF class to get a first HPOF, and then go on to hopefully get an HPOF Original award. My question to you all is, do they evaluate HPOF cars at a big show like Hershey? After doing some research and consulting last years judging guidelines on the AACA website, It didn't sound like that class gets evaluated at a Grand National like Hershey. I could be wrong however. If they don't get evaluated there, what event would that be?

I've been around the AACA for a long time, but this would be the first time I would be actually showing a car, so forgive the ignorance. I am just looking to get pointed in the right direction so I can have a more complete plan to present to the owner.

Attached are a few pictures of the car. 

Thank you kindly,

Alex

125550542_666645434048524_2790990389666178979_n.jpg

125560937_286545549319375_5534504698377871323_n.jpg

125563100_366593884411092_1165587686692049653_n.jpg

126041653_4910912168982379_3689083702965962428_n.jpg

2 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Your friend's car is certainly eligible to enter in the HPOF category at any National AACA meet except a Grand National meet. Although Hershey is a huge meet, it is not a Grand National meet but his car is welcome to enter the HPOF class or a judged class at any National meet including Hershey. Check your judging manual for the details as to how the car will be evaluated or judged. (The newer the car is within certain age brackets, the more the details count  for an HPOF and then an Original certification). Some items commonly checked are headlights - are they matched?, tire valve caps. after market type items that aren't original from the factory but might be a dealer installed item that wasn't offered by the manufacturer, radiator hoses, clamps and battery. Due to age and safety, certain items necessarily would have to be replaced over time such as the last three mentioned, but they should be correct copies of the original. Your friend's car looks great in the photos, and I would hope to see it in HPOF at Hershey this fall or at another National show. Keep in mind that one cannot jump back and forth from HPOF to a judged class and back to HPOF or vice versa, so be sure of whether he wants his car to be evaluated for HPOF or judged in class for a trophy.

Neil Sugermeyer - HPOF evaluation team member