A 401 Nailhead disguised as a 322?

I have always wondered if you could add a significant amount of power to an old Buick (let's say a 55 for example) without compromising the look of the components in the entire engine compartment.  The idea would be to swap out the 322 with a 401 while keeping as much as possible, the same.  For example, one thing that has to stay the same (in my opinion) is the air cleaner.  It's a big part that draws anyone's attention when opening the hood.  Of course, that is just one thing amongst many other components.

Has anyone tried this?  If so, were you able to pull off the look of originality?  Did you at least get close to it?  And did the power make a big enough difference to justify the swap?  

Thank you.

4 hours ago, Kosage Chavis said:

I have always wondered if you could add a significant amount of power to an old Buick (let's say a 55 for example) without compromising the look of the components in the entire engine compartment.  The idea would be to swap out the 322 with a 401 while keeping as much as possible, the same.  For example, one thing that has to stay the same (in my opinion) is the air cleaner.  It's a big part that draws anyone's attention when opening the hood.  Of course, that is just one thing amongst many other components.

Has anyone tried this?  If so, were you able to pull off the look of originality?  Did you at least get close to it?  And did the power make a big enough difference to justify the swap?  

Thank you.

I think it'd be easy to pull off.  Especially to the untrained eye. BUT.... Bellhousing is different so you still get into trans and rear axle work.

Russ Martin sells the adaptor plates for the side motor mounts. The bellhousing from a 1957 dyna bolts up to the 364 or 401 if 57-63 the flexplate is also for dyna.  Now to find out if the 57 dyna bellhousing bolts to a 1956 dyna trans case? Almost there! 1957 convertor to 1956 dyna case? Hmm. Yeah, 300-325 advertizsed hp vs 236 hp stock, plus the xtra torque. Now if I just had your vast financial resources! Lol! Wish someone knew and could advise about the 57 bell and torque convertor to 56 case thing, but who would go to all that trouble to change a 55 Century over to a longer 56 trans that doesnt fit? Crazy talk!

• Like 1

THATS NOT CRAZY TALK!!!!!!!!!!😁 I have thought about that same swap since I got my "56 Special many years ago! I was thinking of of upgrading the motor, trans and rear end, all Buick of course. 401 or 425!!!  But why not show it of with 3 deuces or even a dual 4 barrel set up????🤩

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Roadhog1951 said:

THATS NOT CRAZY TALK!!!!!!!!!!😁 I have thought about that same swap since I got my "56 Special many years ago! I was thinking of of upgrading the motor, trans and rear end, all Buick of course. 401 or 425!!!  But why not show it of with 3 deuces or even a dual 4 barrel set up????🤩

Here here! Almost makes me wish my 322 didnt run so well!

• Haha 1