Information about a 1936 model

Fernando1

Good morning.  I  am writing from Uruguay, South America, looking for information about this car. My father is the owner, and it has been in a garage since 1973. The first owner was a USA citizen who was diplomatic. His name was Leslie E. Reed and had the car from 1936 to 1939.  I will be very grateful if somebody could provide me with information such as catalogues, advertisings, technical information, and  any other interesting data about the car or Mr. Reed.  Thanks in advance for your collaboration

Motor number: D 2 - 87069

cubre rueda.jpg

foco trasero izquierdo.jpg

interior delantero.jpg

lateral trasera.jpg

vista lateral.jpg

It might be the angle of the shot, but looking at the way the spare is mounted and the runningboards look long, it might be a 7 passenger sedan. The telling factor would be 2 small folding  jump seats behind the front seat. If it is a 7 passenger, it's rather rare and very difficult to find parts for because so many are specific for that body style. The engine number won't tell much info but if you can get the serial number on the right side "A" pillar, door jamb, that would help narrow down when it was built.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your contributions!

I will try to answer your questions.

Jpage.  The serial number is 8986607.

Keiser3. Regarding the grille, sorry, but it was broken in a collision (we have some parts, although I don´t know if they are all of them). However, I will share a photo of the car´s front. I agree with you that the taillight seems as they belong to another car. How the original taillights were?  

35cz8. In fact there is not a gloves box at the left. It is just the door but there is a no box behind.  The real gloves box is on the right. I don´t know how the original car was.

I would like to add that in Uruguay before IIWW cars used to drive on the left side of the road.  

At the last, I would appreciate if you could share any photos, catalogues and information about 30´s Dodge cars.  Thank you  again.

radiador 1.jpg

Welcome Fernando!  I was snoozing and missed the arrival of another D2.

Judging by the first picture that you posted your father's D2 is a non-touring sedan body style.  That's because they didn't have a trunk and the spare tire was mounted under a metal cover on the back of the car.  Production of non-touring sedan models was much, much, much lower than touring sedan models.  Something like 175,000 of the 265,000 D2s built were touring sedans vs. about 6000 non-touring sedans.

IIRC the "8" at the beginning of your car's serial number means that it was built for export and, therefore, may have a smaller displacement engine with lower compression ratio than D2s built for the USA market.

Search under my name to see the thread on my own non-touring sedan's story.  It's called something like "My official D2 resurrection thread"

Edited by Pete in PA (see edit history)

On 11/27/2020 at 8:44 PM, Dodgenz said:

The pedals on Fernando's one look different too - sideways. Mine are export cars, and they are the same as the US ones, as is the dash. (Although there could be export and export of course!).

Dodgenz. Thank you for your contribution. I believe there were not many Dodge D2 in Uruguay. The first owner was a USA diplomatic and this car has the driving wheel in the left when cars in the ´30s used to drive on the left side of the road.  Perhaps the car was brought directly from the United States.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:29 AM, Pete in PA said:

Welcome Fernando!  I was snoozing and missed the arrival of another D2.

Judging by the first picture that you posted your father's D2 is a non-touring sedan body style.  That's because they didn't have a trunk and the spare tire as mounted under a metal cover on the back of the car.  Production of non-touring sedan models was much, much, much lower than touring sedan models.  Something like 175,000 of the 265,000 D2s built were touring sedans.

IIRC the "8" at the beginning of your car's serial number means that it was built for export and, therefore, may have a smaller displacement engine with lower compression ratio than D2s built for the USA market.

Search under my name to see the thread on my own non-touring sedan's story.  It's called something like "My official D2 resurrection thread"

Thank you for your interesting information. In fact, all the photos, advertisings, etc, I have found on the Internet are about the D2 Touring model. I cannot find information about this non touring model.  Do you have any material about it? I would also like how many models or types of D2 were made.

I have been reading your experience restoring your D2. What a challenge! I will follow closely your progress.  I would like to do the same, but I believe that it is impossible for me at this moment.   

Yes, that's the same production number (5996) of trunkless four door sedans that I've seen.  The text looks identical to that in numerous publications I've read.
Total D2 production:              265005
4 door touring sedans:          174334
2 door touring sedans:            37468
2 door business coupes:         32952
4 door sedans:                           5996
2 door rumble seat coupes:       4317

2 door sedans:                           2453

4 door, 7 passenger sedans:     1942
2 door convertible coupes:        1525
4 door convertible sedans:          750

Plus 1358 commercial  4 door sedans and 1910 chassis only which were used to make Westchester Suburban station wagons.

The same source discusses export models but doesn't give a lot of detail.  These models were designated D3 "standard" and D4 "deluxe: and were based on the 1936 Plymouth P1 and P2 models.  They were essentially Plymouths fitted with Dodge grilles and trim and also had the smaller Plymouth engine.  I wonder if you have a P3 or P4.  D3 production is given as "almost 3100" but there's no info on D4 numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a good reason to give it run...  So i ended up with 2890mm, which translates to 113.78 inches. Does that make it the Plymouth version Pete? And if the wheelbase is different are the panels a different size? Nothing seems obvious although there is no chrome trim on the doors and rear, only the bonnet.

Sorry to sort of hi-jack your thread Fernando, but i suppose this might be of some help towards clarifying your car type.