Removing porcelain from manifold.

Steve Rinaldo

Steve,

While wanting to show off how nice the porcelain finish looks may, or may not long-term hasten the disintegration,

you may wish to try light-to-moderate tapping with a sharp edge (or maybe a pointy) chisel and hammer to crack the finish.

I've not tried to remove the remaining porcelain on the '30 Packard's exhaust yet, so please let me know if you come up with a good solution.

... and thanks for your continuing support of the hobby.

1 hour ago, Steve Rinaldo said:

I Watched several PC videos on removing porcelain from metal objects. They all used a needle scaler air powered tool. I borrowed one and it works ok. This is tough stuff

I wouldn't use a needle scaler on a 100 year old cast iron exhaust manifold.........unless you want to find another one when your done cleaning it. The chances that you crack it are very, very high.

• Like 6

Steve,

I'm going to agree with Ed on the scaler and recommend sand blasting.  Need a higher pressure unit with some pretty agressive media though. Do you have plans on a new coating?  I'll share the experience on my 1939 LaSalle....went with one of the two most recommended porcelain coating companies (not cheap) and it failed miserably after the few drives.  They offered to try again but I'll be taking my losses and removing the manifolds this winter and have them ceramic coated instead. I'm going to try Jet Hot Cermaic Coatings.  It won't look near as nice as brand new ceramic, as it does not have the caoting thickness nor the glossy sheen (satin is the best you can get with ceramic) but I know it'll stay on and will look a lot better than blotches of rusty cast iron and glossy black porcelain.

Scott