Door Veneers, I did it!

TampaRiv

Hello Gents.  Last week I posted about door veneers, and got a lot of valuable input on the subject.  Mine had been long-replaced with laminate, but it wasn't done so well, so I decided to re-do them.   I chose laminate again, figuring it would be easier to work with than real wood veneer.   Here's how I did it.... 

110_0034.thumb.JPG.4e7e6171064e017e350eb9966b950800.JPG

I removed the old Formica from the panels and scraped off all the old contact cement from the substrate.  I then wiped it down with acetone to completely clean the surface.

110_0017.thumb.JPG.b3e06827b64b9c0045fa0e2b7287ef6d.JPG

I templated some jigs to match the pieces, then router-cut them, and test fitted them to make sure they were accurate. I then took a sharpie marker and went around the inner perimeter to black out any gaps, which were minimal.  110_0020.thumb.JPG.67039b7df689cb03dfa85e96680a4c5a.JPG

Once the substrate was ready, I assembled 10 really strong magnets, 10 laminate chip cards, and a tube of clear silicone caulk.  I applied the silicone in fine beads, pressed the laminate into place, and applied the magnets to hold the veneers in place. 

110_0022.thumb.JPG.ff6ed95a8241fe9c4d71f9e7b44bb3c2.JPG

110_0026.thumb.JPG.07a1c6fd7bd1bca8cbe69f27e126a2e7.JPG

110_0003.thumb.JPG.5fc2101920f3df8b19219d27e63c47a8.JPG

110_0002.thumb.JPG.fa0f16da28c702eef9cb5d81546cee37.JPG

I even did the console, and it looks factory!

110_0007.thumb.JPG.5489a23618bfdd299a0573bf37c01e54.JPG

I had enough material to make 2 extra sets of door panels, which I can ship to your location for $100, shipping included.  Let me know if you are interested.  These look great, fit well, are easy to install.  Rich

110_0031.thumb.JPG.177db3db2f3c950b0c044d268f2677c7.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Really nice job. Does your car have power vent windows? If not, how did you make the hole for your vent window crank?  Basic same question about the remote mirror joy stick. Were you able to curve the laminate on the console piece?  How long and wide are the laminate pieces as the come to you? I asking wondering how long of a piece can you assemble and keep the grain intact?  Any special tools needed?

Thanks, Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Thanks fellas. 

Ed, the laminate sheet (Wilsonart "Zanzibar") comes in a 4X8 sheet, so the grain runs the full 96 inches.  The holes were easily cut with a 1.25" spade bit on the bench. 

Re:the console piece, I peeled off the original black vinyl, and used it to create a jig in 3/4" plywood.  Next, I used a couple of small dots of hot glue to adhere the laminate to the jig, then I was able to router-cut the piece using my laminate router with a piloted laminate bit.  I separated the cut piece from the jig with a drywall knife.   I then fastened a 1.5" wood dowel to the bench, indexed the location of the bend on the backside of the piece, and used a heat gun on the piece to bend it.   After some very patient fitting/sanding/adjusting, I had that bent piece perfectly cut.  I attached the upper portion first, clamping it securely at the bend.  Once it set at the bend, I then glued the portion around the shifter in place using tiny spring clamps from Harbor Fake tool.  It took 4 tries to do that center piece....the first one I broke while sanding on it; two of them I marred, and finally I got smart and covered it in blue tape.

1 hour ago, TampaRiv said:

Thanks fellas. 

Ed, the laminate sheet (Wilsonart "Zanzibar") comes in a 4X8 sheet, so the grain runs the full 96 inches.  The holes were easily cut with a 1.25" spade bit on the bench. 

Re:the console piece, I peeled off the original black vinyl, and used it to create a jig in 3/4" plywood.  Next, I used a couple of small dots of hot glue to adhere the laminate to the jig, then I was able to router-cut the piece using my laminate router with a piloted laminate bit.  I separated the cut piece from the jig with a drywall knife.   I then fastened a 1.5" wood dowel to the bench, indexed the location of the bend on the backside of the piece, and used a heat gun on the piece to bend it.   After some very patient fitting/sanding/adjusting, I had that bent piece perfectly cut.  I attached the upper portion first, clamping it securely at the bend.  Once it set at the bend, I then glued the portion around the shifter in place using tiny spring clamps from Harbor Fake tool.  It took 4 tries to do that center piece....the first one I broke while sanding on it; two of them I marred, and finally I got smart and covered it in blue tape.

Again, a really nice job; one that will last for a long time.  Thanks for the detailed explanation.  This must have been a real labor of love to get it done so nicely.

Ed

Nice work and good choice of laminate. Never considered WilsonArt products. My son talked me out the 5 Formica chips I was considering. Zanzibar is certainly nicer than what I was considering.

Advantages going this way is not disturbing the inner door panel and bending tabs on the steel panels. I don't think the door panel nailing strips and tabs could tolerate another removal!

Also, you chose clear silicone over contact cement. I too was considering an alternative adhesive. Never thought of magnets but mine being removed, had workout weights placed on them after using a roller from dynamatting.

As for the console, very nice. I found that curve intimidating and after the original 'Leatherette' clean up nicely, I decided to leave it as is. On you ashtray door, where is that tri-shield from? I have one just like it from a '78 LeSabre.

Thanks XFRAMEFX,   The contact cement that the previous Formica inserts had been applied with failed, probably due to heat inside the car.  That's why I went with the silicone.   My ash tray assembly is gone, so I just cut a piece of 1/4" PVC and covered it with the laminate, and found that tri shield on ebay out of St. Petersburg. The guy sells them in pairs, brand new.

A good way to get even distribution of weight over irregular / large surfaces is with the bags of play sand that you put into your kid's sand box.  As long as there's enough sand to provide the weight and you bag is large enough to fill all of the corners you're in good shape.  Sometimes a little help may be needed in an inside corner but a small flat piece of extra laminate cut to fit will help.

Thanks J3.  I wanted something maintenance-free, and I have a lot of experience working with laminate.   I continued on with the console because I thought the color wasn't too over-the-top.  I realize the '63s didn't use veneer on the console, but the black vinyl wasn't too exciting, especially for a "personal luxury" car. 

• Like 3