Gasket Sealant ?

Barry R

I’m reassembling my 23 Buick 4 cylinder engine.

there is a thin almost paper like gasket between the short cylinder block and the crank case.

I’ve managed to find some paper gasket and made a thin gasket, but should I put gasket Sealant on both sides of this paper?

When  I put the head gasket on should that have sealant on both sides as well.?

There should not be any paper or any other gasket material between the cylinders and the aluminum crankcase.  At most, just a VERY LITTLE bit of sealer is all that should be there.  

If you put a gasket there, over time the gasket no matter how thin can compress and cause the fasteners be the a bolt or nut on a stud to start to loosen.  If they get loose, it can become an issue where an ear or ears where the the jugs are retained to the block will break off.  Then you have a major problem.

I have not used any gaskets in that area on any of my vehicles.  Just  a tiny bit of aerobic sealer only.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks for your reply.  That’s interesting. There was definitely a thin paper gasket it was .005     Between short cylinder block and crankcase.

When I collected my engine from the machine shop he even cut me a new price of 005 paper of the roll and reminded me not to forget to install it.

What about a sealant (hermatite blue) on the head gasket?

5 hours ago, Barry R said:

Thanks for your reply.  That’s interesting. There was definitely a thin paper gasket it was .005     Between short cylinder block and crankcase.

When I collected my engine from the machine shop he even cut me a new price of 005 paper of the roll and reminded me not to forget to install it.

What about a sealant (hermatite blue) on the head gasket?

One other thing, you should check the tightness of the fasteners every one in a while.  Never hurts.

On my 1925 Standard, I have a thin paper gasket between the cylinders and the lower crankcase.  Back in the day they used paper and Indian head Shellac.  Blue Hylomar on both sides of the paper is what I used between mine on the rebuild.  The 1923 Book of parts does show a gasket.  For the head gasket, the blue material will not withstand the heat.  I sprayed both sides of my copper head gasket with Permatex copper coat spray.   I did 2 coats on each side.  Hugh

146816952_19244-1.thumb.JPG.4e0e4727a8e7967fefdc418079a501fd.JPG1784286632_19244-2.thumb.JPG.54cf9c66ced04adc487eff8e9d92d7ca.JPG