1925 standard buick starter motor

can you remove the starter motor with out removing the water pump i always remove my water pump first but could you slide the drive dog foward on water pump and get the motor out asking for a fellow buick owner thanks tony

I don't ever pull my water pump to remove the start/Gen.Take the top of the pillow block off and the screws out of the s/g and the S/g drive will slide back far enough to remove it.Be careful it is real heavy.

• Like 1

Just for info a couple of months ago +\- there was a posting with photos of a member making a rope sling for the s/g to assist in removing and installing it.  It looked like a really good idea to handle that very heavy and awkward unit in a confined space.  If you page back here you might find it.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, michealbernal said:

Just for info a couple of months ago +\- there was a posting with photos of a member making a rope sling for the s/g to assist in removing and installing it.  It looked like a really good idea to handle that very heavy and awkward unit in a confined space.  If you page back here you might find it.

I made one for mine to help lower it.I have pulled that s/g a dozen times. once 3 times in one day

hi which screws do you remove you have to remove the two that hold the sheet metal cover off as its trapped by the pump drive do you mean the 3 screws that hold the housing around the disbuter drive gear if you took that and that gear off you would free up a lot 

• Like 1

Tony, on the shaft just before it enters the Start/ generator you will see a pin through the shaft.This will have to be knocked out  and it is tapered and has to be knocked out or installed in one direction.Once this pin is knocked out remove the 2 screws from the tin cover on the s/g and remove the two bolts and take off the top of the pillow block.You can now slide the coupler out of the s/g and slide it all the way back to the pillow block.Here is the trick slide the brass oil slinger assembly out of the pillow block toward the water pump but be careful to hold the oil slinger ring up as to not break it.You can now move the s/g coupler real close to the pillow block and take the three bolts and spacers out that hold the s/g to the block and lower the s/g to the floor.What I usually do is use a ratchet strap to hold it in place while I take the bolts out and use a rope sling to lower it to the floor.Remember it is heavy and be careful.Once the S/g is unbolted from the block you can move it outward enough to give you room to pull it off of the tapered starter pedal shaft.

• Like 1

thanks for that they are heavy i can remeber when i took mine out i will give it a go as you have suggested i have been asked to help another buick owner put his back onto his car he removed it for repair and used crow bars etc to get it out and he bent the shaft from the starter pedal the water pump is still on the car but it would save time to leave this on and fit starter motor again the tapered pin etc has been removed i did my starter gen up when i did my car up and i haver never had to thouch it again thanks tony

Like Ron says.  1925 shop manual notes below.  Most of the time the drive coupling on the water pump shaft won't slide on the shaft unless the last person put never seize or grease on the shaft prior to installation of the drive coupling.   A couple options on lifting.  The unit weighs 60 lbs and I have always lifted it out the top-but be careful lifting it as it could be top heavy and rotate in your sling if you are not careful.     Hugh

649546656_StarterGeneratorRemoval1925BuickStandard.thumb.JPG.09a9a62b3d97fcef8d430713fc2c60f3.JPG

1039079207_RogerPridemoreSGremoval.thumb.JPG.b45d2111795f4759223e888b40055828.JPGIMG_7294.thumb.JPG.0fd2ebc6ca3991ae327952534b1ad42e.JPG

• Like 1

Tony I forgot to mention that the tapered shaft has to be pulled back.I usually remove the starter pedal and manually pull the shaft back because I am usually by myself.If you have help you can get someone to hold the starter pedal down so you won't have to remove it.Be sure to pull the oil slinger ring up in the bottom of the brass piece or you will brake the ring.You will have to tap the brass piece back gently with a small hammer.