Possible Hispano Hood Ornament Information Required

Fox H.

Hi everyone!

While passing through a local antique store, I came upon what appears very similar to a Hispano-Suiza hood ornament. No markings visible. It is simply tagged as "Antique Hood Ornament, $300" (Canadian) and I did not purchase it. I find it hard to believe an original Hispano stork is here, but I figured I would check anyways. If it is a reproduction, it seems to be a fairly a good one. My apologies for the bad pictures - chrome is awfully hard to photograph with a smartphone.

IMG_5809.thumb.JPG.3e0eed4016997bbe9929234e682c9d1a.JPG

IMG_5812.JPG

IMG_5810.JPG

5 minutes ago, alsancle said:

There is about a 95% chance that is one of the replicas.  There are 10 replica storks for every real one.

From the looks of the bottom of the casting and detail in the wings and body, I would say your off by five percent. Sure looks like a poorly done modern casting.

• Like 3

If it is indeed a reproduction, be sure to tell

the seller.  No honest car fan wants his fellow

car fans--prospective purchasers--to buy a

forgery by mistake.

An honest antique dealer will welcome your

information, verify it for himself, and then mark

the replica as the reproduction it evidently is.

• Like 1

Agree it looks like a repro. A friend had an original stolen off his 30 Hiso limo on Main St. in Port Washington  L.I. while he was in the movie theater. He got a repro and mentioned that the casting was not as well done as the original. 

Paul 

Correct - it is absolutely a reproduction.  Originals were marked on the base with the embossed signature of the sculptor-F. Bazin.  The base had a recessed area, and there should be a serial number underneath where the wings come down to the base.

Terry

Hispano Siza 1.jpg

Hispano Suiza 2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Perfect, thanks everyone! I assumed it was a repro, but I wanted to make sure in case anyone needed one. I figured it was strange there weren't any markings, and it didn't look quite right to my eyes. I'll let them know when I step back in there.

I'm not too sure that it is a mascot that Don Sommer reproduced. The picture in the Sommer catalog has the neck and head of the bird sloping down and not as straight as the one pictured and it's not an original as Terry and Mark point out.