1923 thru 1927 Buick Distributor parts modernization

Distributor parts for 1923 thru 1927 Buick parts continue to get scarce.  Scarcity drives the price up.  

1923-27      1928 - 32

Cap      $110          $12 ($7 on Rock Auto)

Rotor    $65           $6.75  

Points   $50?         $12.50

I did want to look into the modifications necessary to fit modern points, cap and rotor to the existing distributor housings.

Cap and Rotor are 10X the price, and Bob's no longer has points which indicates the rarity.   

I have the following photo from Kevin Roner regarding points but no details.  Would like to provide drawings of what is necessary to modify existing parts.  Would like to keep the capacity to always go back to the original parts. 

Does anyone have any 1928 thru 1932 Buick cap and rotor and or points that they would donate to the cause?   PM me.  I need a couple to cut and verify fit.  Worn out is fine.    Thank you    Hugh

178274942_distributor-4modernpointsinstalledin6cyldistributer-Kevin.thumb.jpg.5727c59e8bedf1a635c39f481c3ccddf.jpg

Larry, 

What I am looking to do is a little different than what we have discussed in the past.  I do have a listing of replacement distributors, and yes, there are some details missing on all the nuances to replace the distributor as a whole to upgrade from a pot metal distributor housing.  I have already installed a steel distributor from an earlier model. 

What I want to do is use the existing distributor and provide details to upgrade the replacement parts.  There is a slight change in the diameter of the newer cap.  It may require a fixture and minor machining of a cheap cap to get there, or maybe replacement of the cap hold down screws with shallower screws that do not interfere with the new cap.  Replacing the hold down clips with slightly longer clips or modifying the top side of the cap.  Several ways to get there.      Hugh

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)

Why not just make reproduction caps, rotors, and points? Easily done...........

99 percent of the time, all three components are still fine.......and people just want to swap out the stuff during a tune up. It’s like a carb kit where people want a new float..........not needed 99 percent of the time. Even if the reproduction parts are the same as the going rate today, it’s a better option than changing things. 110 for a cap isn’t bad......a five wire oxygen sensor from Bosch can easily run 150 bucks. I would also expect that 99 percent of the existing Buick’s from the 1923-1927 era see less than four hundred miles a year. For the cost of four tanks of fuel in my pick up truck I can buy the cap, rotor, and points..........in perspective while not free, they are by no means stopping someone from driving their car. Some rare caps sell for 1500-2500 dollars.......it’s all in how you look at it. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

Distributor parts for 1923 thru 1927 Buick parts continue to get scarce.  Scarcity drives the price up.  

1923-27      1928 - 32

Cap      $110          $12 ($7 on Rock Auto)

Rotor    $65           $6.75  

Points   $50?         $12.50

I did want to look into the modifications necessary to fit modern points, cap and rotor to the existing distributor housings.

Cap and Rotor are 10X the price, and Bob's no longer has points which indicates the rarity.   

I have the following photo from Kevin Roner regarding points but no details.  Would like to provide drawings of what is necessary to modify existing parts.  Would like to keep the capacity to always go back to the original parts. 

Does anyone have any 1928 thru 1932 Buick cap and rotor and or points that they would donate to the cause?   PM me.  I need a couple to cut and verify fit.  Worn out is fine.    Thank you    Hugh

Hugh, 

I sort of recall reading about a modification to a VW distributer Cap for use in a 4 cylinder Buick , maybe Leif  from Sweden ?

Had a search but no luck...

Norm

8 hours ago, edinmass said:

Even if the reproduction parts are the same as the going rate today, it’s a better option than changing things. 110 for a cap isn’t bad......a five wire oxygen sensor from Bosch can easily run 150 bucks

Kinda sad that was my first thought as well, I'd be happy to pay those prices for the cadillac... 

Would the alternative approach if you had a non functional distributor be to find a workable housing and see if there is an electronic ignition conversion kit that would be suitable? 

On both my 26 and 27 Buicks I used a  end section of 28 gen. and used a 28 Dist. Actually you can use quite a few differant later GM dist.

Haven't had any trouble in over 10 years. Got all the parts from NAPA. Good luck