1937 Reference Picture request

Stooge

Hi everyone, i am hoping for some help regarding my 1937 Century 66S, that some of you may be familiar with from my project thread on here, that i bought a few years ago as a stripped/ parted out, rusty body on a rusty frame, with a few post office bins of parts and have been working on a modest rebuild.  Where this forum has answered so many of my 'i don't know what i don't have' situations that come with buying a car that has been blown apart  for decades, i am looking for some pictures for a few things i haven't been able to find pictures of what i am looking for/ what something is supposed to look like. Specifically, i am looking for, the passenger side fender exit gas cap/ female end of the fuel fill neck, the radiator support for the front crossmember, (mine had a belt pulley acting as a puck when i pulled the radiator out), and the rear, front seat mounting. I recently purchased a split bench seat, and the rear brackets end with a small wheel on either side that i would imagine have an accompanying track to sit in. Although a lot of my floor has been replaced due to rust and rot, there was nothing in place where the rear of the seat is.  According to the manual, it sounds like there is something in place that causes the rear of the seat raise and lower as it is adjusted forwards and back. Thanks in advance for any information and help!  

50583246616_4f20c1447b_z.jpg2020-11-09_07-36-47 by Dan Haas, on Flickr

50582508878_2c98e791d9_z.jpg2020-11-09_07-37-05 by Dan Haas, on Flickr

50532372841_476f7ea05b_z.jpg20201024_185519 by Dan Haas, on Flickr

I think that the seat mounting hardware should be the same on all body styles for 1937 and 1938. I don't have a good photo that shows the seat mounting hardware, but if you will click on the diagonal arrow at the top right of this link, it will show you one side of the seat mounting hardware from my 1938 Century. The other side is the same. I am fairly sure that Dave Tacheny would have a set of seat mounting hardware available.  I will do my best to find you a photo of the gas cap on a coupe. I should have a photo somewhere that shows that. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

I think that the seat mounting hardware should be the same on all body styles for 1937 and 1938. I don't have a good photo that shows the seat mounting hardware, but if you will click on the diagonal arrow at the top right of this link, it will show you one side of the seat mounting hardware from my 1938 Century. The other side is the same. I am fairly sure that Dave Tacheny would have a set of seat mounting hardware available.  I will do my best to find you a photo of the gas cap on a coupe. I should have a photo somewhere that shows that. 

Thank you for the link. It's interesting, i have both the front rod with the wheels on either end, and the 2 brackets with the wheel in my parts bins, but the seat, that was supposedly from a 1938 2 door sedan, has the wheel attached to the underside of the seat with the wheel facing towards the floor, rather than bolted to the floor, and it is also slightly shorter overall, (maybe by an 1/8") than the 2 i have that came with the car. I wonder if it could have been assembled wrong when it was reupholstered and rebuilt, though i'm not sure how they would have been able to mount it, unless it was mickey moused a bit. I'll have to pull the seat out and re-examine it. 

The gas cap, and more specifically the grommet/ female end, i have been planning on getting the stock non locking cap from Bob's and the grommet from Steele Rubber, but before i start making something, i wasn't sure how the fuel fill neck attaches, or if it is held in place with the grommet, and i believe there is a small tab on the inside of the fender to secure it to, if i remember correctly. For the neck itself, i was probably going to start with something from tanks inc or chevs of the 40s, to give me an end that will accept a twist gas cap and work the rest of it to route to the new tank.  

Edited by Stooge (see edit history)

I would assume that the seat hardware would be the same on your coupe as a sedan. I found a photo that shows what the brackets on the bottom of the seat probably should be. If you don't have that hardware, I would call Dave Tacheny and see if he has a set, I would expect him to have some. 

DSC_0321.JPG

• Like 1

The right rear corner view is an uncommon angle to photograph these coupes, but I was able to find a few photos from an internet search should give you an idea about the gas tank cap/grommet...

IMG_5840.JPG

1937-Buick-Coupe-3-1365x1024.jpg

09cdf861de4ede782b9e8397dc4dd880.jpg

• Like 2

DSC_0118.thumb.jpeg.dfbe028e6f9f0ebb8502c11d68608d89.jpeg

underside of front seat with all the hardware attached. 

DSC_1583.thumb.jpeg.46307411cd3e52e249af71782348f702.jpeg

Sorry for the low-res but the layout of the floor hardware.

DSC_1579.thumb.jpeg.f179da149d7d4a2fea7e1662336b1476.jpeg

Here's how they all fit together. You access the front hold down through that hole just behind the angled metal strap.

That hold-down is the last piece installed to lock it all in position.

Gary

• Like 1

Gas Cap....  as it is on my car

My '37 came to me like this, so I got a new outside gas cap, powder coated the fill tube, replaced the hose with a heavy duty marine-grade version.

DSC_4544.thumb.jpeg.baa4f884e3872d9ccd474796386ac46e.jpeg

This is how it looks finished on the outside.

DSC_4310.thumb.jpeg.83edf27ae5645a88c4e45d52a2edf6d1.jpeg

There is two types of rubber grommets.  Use the one on the right with that nice molded "crease" in it.  It fits perfectly to the fender contour.

DSC_4312.thumb.jpeg.8634e4a0cb72169beb361416141355ca.jpeg

Here you can see how nice the grommet seals

DSC_4307.thumb.jpeg.08b56d6fc747c4cf9295b5c1af697e37.jpeg

So, like I said, my car has this filler that used a hose to attach it to the tank.

I do not know if this is correct, but its what I had and it works nicely.

It actually gives you a little "wiggle room" to get the grommet lined up just right.

I had my tank completely restored and it has a reddish powder coat on the inside surface. 

Hope these help!

Gary

Edited by Gary W (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MCHinson said:

09cdf861de4ede782b9e8397dc4dd880.jpg

I really don't see too many dark red/ maroon 1937-1938's, especially coupes, and with the color matched wheels, it really just look beautiful! 

Thank you both @MCHinsonand @Gary W, those underside pictures all make sense now i think. I was comparing the uncovered seats that i have, which has the tracks on the underside, as both of yours do, and the seat that i just bought. While the front slider and bracket are correct,  it was just unbolted from the floor rather than taken off the track, the rear looks like it was re-assembled in reverse, with assuming the track was attached to the floor of whatever car it was in, and the wheel and mechanism attached to the underside of the seat. Fortunately, i believe i have the parts to do this with the extra parts and the extra seat, i should be able to make it all work. 

• Like 1

Thank you @Gary W those pictures also explain a lot of how the neck sits in and is secured by the grommet. From the pictures i have seen of stock tanks, and the the ones i have handy, (I think they may be from an @MCHinson post awhile back) it appears the neck is one piece with the recesses in the end for a twisting gas cap, but having a flexible piece in between makes sense when aligning the fenders and body, and not having a rigid fill neck dictate where the fender will go without a margin for misalignment. Sounds especially handy when having to locate the neck on an otherwise hole-less tank.  It looks like the fuel neck grommet supplied by Steele , does have the crease shape molded into it, at least according to their dimensions drawing https://www.steelerubber.com/fuel-neck-grommet-50-0067-39  so i'll order one of those and see what i can cobble together.  thanks again guys, its a big help!  

50586574221_61e9542763_z.jpggastank2 by Dan Haas, on Flickr

50585834633_4966f0f972_z.jpggastank1 by Dan Haas, on Flickr

50008639341_b27ca9bef2_z.jpg20200510_141323 by Dan Haas, on Flickr

• Like 1

The only thing I will add is that originally the fuel filler neck did not have the rubber section in it like Gary's did. Many of them have been modified over the years. To remove the tank, you have to unscrew the top section of the fuel filler neck to be able to drop the tank without removing the fender. Lots of people have cut them off and inserted a rubber section because they were unaware that the top section could be unscrewed. Gary's fuel filler neck sticks out a bit higher than it would have originally. I think you can see from the coupe photos how they typically just barely stick out over the top of the grommet. 

• Thanks 1

Actually now that i think of it, those stock tank pictures do not make sense for a 1937 with passenger side fill neck, since it would be facing the the driver side when installed with the neck closer to the rear of the car, so im not sure what those are from. 

Edit, ...  whoops! i forgot @MCHinson owns both a 1937 AND a 1938 and that could be correct for a 1938 

Edited by Stooge (see edit history)

Here's my tank before and after restoration:

Like Matt explained, my filler neck is cut shorter than the original length.

58e6893a53adb_DSC_0596(1).thumb.JPG.ebeb485b814c67a8a3cdfb9248b56006.JPG.db3bd4a140ef4d9dce33fab03c8e5a9a.JPG

Out and almost ready for shipment.

DSC_0567.thumb.JPG.9078cc7c8ff3c4ac57d8c6a58602f748.JPG.2343f90f47c4724acad2f751beeac35f.JPG

Installed.  You can see the reddish coating inside.

DSC_0556.thumb.JPG.250fbf8030030f7752c29e3d3b48ddf7.JPG.87f29eb88f7966753e4d5e9e36fd1874.JPG

all buttoned up

Gary

• Like 1

Thank you for the added pictures @Gary W, they're especially going to be helpful in getting the right bends to recreate the neck to my aftermarket tank. Having the flexible coupling in line of the filler neck seems like the way to go in making things a little easier to build as well as when installing/ aligning the rear fender. i'll get some stuff ordered for this today or tomorrow, as i would like to get this done before i cut out the trunk floor where i will need to drop the tank for that and can finish welding it up while its out of the car, or that's the plan at least. thanks again! 

• Like 1