Do you have a four legged garage helper?

TerryB

3 hours ago, Ben P. said:

BTW, I didn’t realize that was your P-A. Have seen pictures of it before somewhere (HMN?) and the color scheme struck me as the most tasteful I’ve ever seen on a car of that era (varying shades of red only go so far...). Mochi is the only dog I can picture in it too.

Thanks, Ben.  I've had that P-A almost five years and 8,000 miles now, but have been chasing that specific car since 1998.  Don't think it has been in HMN--only unadvertised sales in last 40 years.  Came close to buying it in 2001, but the owner (since 1985, restored by Pat Craig in the early 80s) decided he needed to have more fun with it.  When we occasionally saw each other over the years, I'd say no more than compliments on how he was maintaining it.  When he did decide to part with it in the summer of 2015, he contacted me.  God bless him for thinking of me!  I told him I'd need to sell a couple of cars and tap the 401k as well, and offered a substantial nonrefundable deposit if he'd give me six months to close.  He did, and I did, and I've been grinning like a throttled earwig ever since.  For me, this is truly the "now I can die happy" car but I hope the Almighty gives me more years of ability to drive and enjoy it.  And my (younger) lady friend Annie drives it, so I can hopefully enjoy it even if and when I have a drool cup tied under my chin.

Suggestions for acclimating your doggie:  short --then increasingly longer--rides in quiet vehicles, then in ATV, then in riding lawnmower, then in Buick.  Praise him and love him up at the end of each ride, however short or long.  They want to please us--what a concept!  Show them they have pleased us by enduring the noisy rides.

Edited by Grimy
typo + add a phrase (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Grimy said:

Suggestions for acclimating your doggie:  short --then increasingly longer--rides in quiet vehicles, then in ATV, then in riding lawnmower, then in Buick.  Praise him and love him up at the end of each ride, however short or long.  They want to please us--what a concept!  Show them they have pleased us by enduring the noisy rides.

Only one thing to add. Take him places he will enjoy. The lake, park, or field. I try to stop and let Daisy out so she can enjoy herself. There's a world of new smells out there and dogs love to explore. When safe let them poke their head out the window. 

• Like 3

On 11/10/2020 at 8:58 AM, JACK M said:

Ill tell a story, I usually have dogs and love them to death.

When I bought my first house I dug a pit in the dirt floor and then poured concrete.

Left a lip so that I could cover it with heavy planks.

I worked out of that garage for years.

The one problem was that it leaked and in the rainy season I had to pump it.

It got to be kind of a greasy old mess but it served me well. (the first thing after I sold the new owners filled it in)

One night I thought I heard a prowler in the garage so went investigating.

There was a small white doggie in the pit, the poor thing was sitting on one of the tall steps and couldn't get out.

I pulled the poor grease soaked guy out and he immediately ran away.

I don't know whose dog it was but it never came back.

I did get a nasty unsigned note on the door about having an attractive but dangerous nuisance thing, or something like that and I should be sued.

I just figured that the poor little doggie was trespassing, but the anonymous complainer never materialized.

This is my current "best friend", Bear.

It is unfortunate that we as humans out live our pets by about ten to one.

IM004803.JPG

He’s so handsome. Give him 🤗😘 for me please. 

• Like 1

My family's Schnauzer loved rides but hated going to the vet.  If we said, "You wanna go for a ride?", he'd beat us to the car.  But when the destination was the vet, we'd have to drag him out from whatever he was hiding under.  Somehow he always knew.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Buddy of mine drives every few months from California to Texas and back. He'll tell the dog: tomorrow we go to Texas/California, and the dog knows not to eat anymore till he gets there. It will not touch food till he's there. He ended up putting the dog on the leash in the pickup cause a few years ago he needed to make hard brake to avoid a wreck on the interstate and the dog flew into the windshield. 

I have 1 pet peeve (no pun intended) about dogs in cars: people driving around with their pooch on their lap. Not only is it a big distraction but also what happens if in an accident the airbag goes off? 

• Like 2

When she was younger, our dog liked to ride on the back seat. With the age, she did not like to go into a car anymore.

The picture was done during the GE in Germany 2008.

When I'm doing my Cadillac model, our new dog is coming to help, with mixed results!

DSC00645.JPG

Helping dog.JPG

Edited by Roger Zimmermann (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I have always had a Female Black Lab by my side. That's Alice who we got a year ago from Animal Rescue. She had a problem with Severe Separation Anxiety, fully trained as a Therapy Dog, but do to the problem was never assigned to a person. She bonded to my Wife and I the day we brought her home

and she is for ever ours.20200208_151732.thumb.jpg.6d2d6866b3226b2a38c09cbaa29df489.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Taken on Tuesday 4th January 1994. 1964 Skylark was 30 years old and could be legally registered as a Left Hand Drive in South Australia. No more permits!

Jordie ( Jordan) my daughters miniature Fox Terrier was my co-pilot and would always hop in as soon as she heard the words “walk” or “beach”.  Favourite position was laying on the back parcel shelf warming herself in the sunshine. She could smell the sea air as we got nearer and would start whining and carrying on in anticipation of the walk. Both are now gone, miss em lots too!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

09BC2983-437C-41E3-BD08-1E83F3B667A6.jpeg

A51B627C-1B2E-47C5-9179-92E39B6D5BD6.jpeg

• Like 4

My previous maltypoo Rags got car sick on his first long ride on passenger floor, so I purchased a doggie car seat used in my trucks and on the floor of the 1918 Pierce.  In the truck center seats, the small dogs can see the horizon, improving their comfort level--and which allows belly rubs!  My F350 SuperCab rear seat area is almost always in its platform mode, with a small dog bed in the center; when the sun load through the windshield gets to be too much, the critters will climb into the dog bed.

• Like 4