Thermostat

Guest Ken G

Yet another question to which someone may know the answer (or comment).

Yesterday I decided to clean up and repaint the thermostat and associated metal piping before reinstalling them. I found cold water ran freely through the thermostat, so I dismantled the assembly.

Problem 1: I found too late that the two parts of the casing had (past tense because I destroyed it) a compression washer between them. Does anyone know where I might obtain a compression washer (fiber or similar with a copper crushable surround) with an internal diameter of 3 inches?

Problem 2: The plate that closes the water channel is open; I can see it through some holes, but I cannot get at it without persuading a large brass piece to come free of the cast-iron casing. However, it looks as if there is an adjustment. When I pour boiling water in, the channel opens a lot further, so the temperature-sensitive parts seem to work. I assume that there should be little or no open passage for cold water. There is an external bypass pipe, suggesting to me that Rover expected the thermostat to be closed cold. Am I right? If so, I need to get even further inside.

Ken G, 1925 Rover 16/50 (San Francisco)

Thank you, JB-ed, but did you think I hadn't already done so? I have found smaller ones

(indeed, I obtained some with 1 5/8 inch inside diameter) but the only catalog I have

found so far gives no dimensions. It's like a lot of parts sites on the web; it is assumed

that you will start with the manufacturer, model and year of the car! In case I didn't say

so before, I need 3 inch ID.

• 2 weeks later...

To follow up on the previous poster's message, the contact information for Restoration Supply Companyy is:

Restoration Supply Company

2060 Palisade Dr.

Reno, NV 89509

Phone: 775 825-5663

FAX: 775 825-9330

E-mail: restoration@rsc.reno.nv.us

Their catalog indeed describes a wide range of copper crush port gaskets that are approximately

0.090" thick before being crushed. They are described as "a copper wrapped, asbestos-like material

which is perfect for sealing water jacket bolts, fuled and brake lines, valve port plugs, and anything

that needs a crushable, temperature and fluid resistant washer.

They seem to stock them with IDs of up to 5 1/4". In your case, they have GAS023 that has as ID of 3"

and an OD of 3 1/4" ... and a number that are either slightly larger or slightly smaller than this one.

Hope this helps,

John

Ah, the forum is working again!

Dear John,

Thank you. Somehow, and I cannot remember how, I had looked at some at least of the stuff Restoration Supply Co. sells and had concluded that they did not stock a wide range of crush washers, but apparently I was mistaken. I must get their catalog. Meanwhile, I found Olson's Gaskets also stock them. However, I have reassembled the thermostat using a fiber washer; if it doesn't leak I'll leave well alone.