Question for Hydra matic gurus

Oldtech

Took apart a 55 Olds Hydramatic that was rebuilt and hasn't worked right since.  The rear clutch has about 1/8 inch of play in the clutch pack which looks like way too much to me. Does anyone know what the spec is? My books don't seem to have one.  It has 8 fiber plates and 8 steels. 

• Like 1

Thanks but not it. It is the clutch pack itself that has too much slop - in my opinion. Needs another plate maybe?  and Yes I have watched the entire John Kelly series. Really great as long as you have the patience. 

But even he says there is no spec on the clutch.  The other clutch has maybe .050 clearance which looks right to me.  The plates are new.

Edited by Oldtech (see edit history)

Ya Pontiac use 7 but Olds use 8 . My problem is it looks like it should have another one. Or it's the wrong piston. I don't think it should have .125 + clearance. I was hoping someone had met enough of these transmissions to know the possibilities.  As I said in the first post. It was rebuilt... not by me, so I don't have any of the old parts, but never worked right.  Shift into 3rd was bad,  but none of the shifts seemed proper. I haven't looked at valve unit yet.