Rust On Resurfaced Flywheel

Engine is rebuilt and ready to install this winter.  Flywheel is installed and resurfaced and ready for clutch disc and pressure plate.  I have seen flywheels "flash rust" in a short time period. Any ideas to prevent this happening while waiting to complete the drive train.  Is there a "coating" recommended that does not create a problem with the clutch disc surface?  OR should I wrap the complete assembly in a big "baggie"!

Thanks for your thoughts.

16 hours ago, Brad_Gates said:

Engine is rebuilt and ready to install this winter.  Flywheel is installed and resurfaced and ready for clutch disc and pressure plate.  I have seen flywheels "flash rust" in a short time period. Any ideas to prevent this happening while waiting to complete the drive train.  Is there a "coating" recommended that does not create a problem with the clutch disc surface?  OR should I wrap the complete assembly in a big "baggie"!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Wipe a lite coat of most any oil on it. Remove with most any solvent before using. Easy peasy.................Bob

• Thanks 1

If you want to clean it chemically you could use a little phosphoric acid with a scotchbrite type  scourer such as used in your kitchen.  Otherwise it is probably self-cleaning as you drive.   Any bush mechanic here, capable of divergent thinking , might chain the back of the car to a good stump and slip the clutch gently.  The mist coating of rust is probably just a slightly different friction surface to the dressed face.   You can sensibly do all sorts of different things for specific purposes.  For instance, a friend and neighbour who was a speedway racing ace asked me to put a better surface on a super-light aluminium flywheel with a very low moment of inertia for his hot Holden engine.  The Metco Spraysteel LS coating on the undercut face, over a nickel aluminide bond coat gave Gary exactly what he wanted.  Just an example of what you can do when you need to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gentlemen,

Thank you for all the ideas.  Looks like a very "light" weight oil is the simplest way to go.  I was just concerned that oil might cause a problem with the clutch disc friction material.  I have had some good experience with the AMSOIL product. But had not considered that for the flywheel.