1958 chevy apache pick up

Douglas McVay

4 hours ago, Douglas McVay said:

I am looking for advice on what oil I should use in my 1958 Chevy Apache pick up. Detergent or non detergent. It has a 235 six cylinder engine with a canister type oil filter. Thanks Doug,

It all depends upon the amount of wear and and the cleanliness of the engine. Also climate. I use straight 30 weight Castrol in my original stovebolt sixes. 
40 weight for summer. 
If it’s clean and tight, with new gaskets and seals you can’t beat synthetic. 
Put non detergent in an abused, high mileage beater with a lot of grunge inside. 
You don’t want to start loosening that stuff up and clog up an oil journal. 

Also put a few drops of oil in the cups on the distributor and generator bushings. If the oil pad on the rotor shaft is dry use just a drop. 

E1860F3F-E3D9-4E5A-933B-0DF1C6DD73E9.thumb.jpeg.0035fb11a20e4085e0c8c25bb02cc191.jpeg

Edited by rusty_apache (see edit history)

2 hours ago, rusty_apache said:

It all depends upon the amount of wear and and the cleanliness of the engine. Also climate. I use straight 30 weight Castrol in my original stovebolt sixes. 
40 weight for summer. 
If it’s clean and tight, with new gaskets and seals you can’t beat synthetic. 
Put non detergent in an abused, high mileage beater with a lot of grunge inside. 
You don’t want to start loosening that stuff up and clog up an oil journal. 

Also put a few drops of oil in the cups on the distributor and generator bushings. If the oil pad on the rotor shaft is dry use just a drop. 

E1860F3F-E3D9-4E5A-933B-0DF1C6DD73E9.thumb.jpeg.0035fb11a20e4085e0c8c25bb02cc191.jpeg

Good point I took it for granted it had been restored or at least the engine rebuilt.