Speedo Drive Gear on '65 Special

My speedo drive gear has slipped off of where it is supposed to be on the output shaft. As a result, my speedometer does not work. I realize it is either the clip holding it on or the gear itself. Does anyone know where I can acuire either a new clip or if necessary, the gear itself for a 1965 Special 300cid ST300 trans? Has anyone out there encountered a similar problem?Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone out there have experience with this? I took the car to a local transmission shop where the "mechanic" reaffixed the drive gear on the right spot on the output shaft and for a moment (until I drove a mile away) had the speedometer working. I recall that he said the gear was a little "sloppy." Never having had experience with this problem I'd like to ask those of you out there whether the problem is more likely the gear, the clip, or the mechanic. This is the only thing keeping me from my PA inspection and drives with the top down. Thanks.<P>Bret Kilbourn '65 special convert

OK, did some checking for you. The gear p/n is specific to the ST 300. P/N for a 65 should be 1371877 for a 16 tooth and 1371878 for a 17 tooth. There was a steel gear listed as well and is pressed on the output shaft. The p/n's are 1359238 and 1359239 for the 16 and 17 respectively.<BR>The clip (for the plastic gears) is p/n 6261781 and is the same as the TH 350.<BR>More than likely what is happening is the gear is no longer tight on the shaft and is slidding forward or back causing the clip to pop out. Any adequate tranny guy should be able to locate a clip and see if that helps it. If not, he should be able to locate a good gear that fits tightly. Worst case, he could use some thin shim material under the gear to tighten it on the shaft.<BR>Good luck,<BR>Mark

Thanks a bunch. I really appreciate the response because as the temperature rises, I'm anxious to do my usual weekend cruises to the golf course. I'll do some checking to find a reputable shop to get this thing fixed. It amazes me that the guy who runs a shop called "The Trans Shop" in Doylestown, PA put the gear back on despite realizing that it was "sloppy." I'll repost once I find out the final result after repair. Thanks again for your time and effort.<P>Bret Kilbourn