DA Water Pump Rebuild

stakeside

I have 2 water pumps from a DA six. Part Number 210903.

The packing nut assemblies are different. They are both pressed in. One is bronze and the other is steel. Just curious about difference. One pump has A1 and other has A3 stamped.

A bronze bushing 0.812” OD and 0.625” ID by 1.125” long is pressed into the assemble. I believe the bronze one to be original. The bushing for this assembly does not have a flange end as the front bushing does.

The front bushing has the flange. The OD and ID are the same size as the packing nut bushing but is 1.5” long.

I will be rebuilding a pump for my engine.

Are these bushings available?

Also will I need a new shaft? The diameter is 0.610”

BC609EA6-A9C9-4977-8F86-5A699E5E659F.thumb.jpeg.013b8feabdd423b950a00496fa6a1f19.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ron Lawson said:

You are lucky to have a bush in the front of the housing The Senior Series has 2 small tapered Timken bearings that are no longer made  

I’ve been rebuilding mine in the past week. My tapered roller bearings had seized at some stage and I had to re bush it to fit the new bearings. I also machined it to take a mechanical seal at the same time. You can see in the bottom picture how far out the bearings had eaten into the housing. 
I was lucky enough to get some bearings Ron but it took him some hunting. I’m waiting on a new shaft and front bush from Myers. 

FEBCDEBD-3DCB-4F47-AA63-D87224589349.jpeg

0C40FCF6-4F0D-4709-BA4E-0228933134B9.jpeg

Actual it was not . The back bearing and packing where keeping to a weep . I only notice after adjusting belt working on generator . Of  coarse this was when i was a very newb to prewar cars and this vehicle .I was shocked to see it worn thur the bushing to the steel . The po just cranked the nut and adjustment tighter , I guess .

I use marine / farm wheel grease and square shaped gland packing rope . I use the semi fluid grease in front bearing as opposed to oil only because bearing was over cut to press in to eliminate reaming . I was able to use sealant on front portion where lip is . The lube thins from heat friction and absorbs into the oil lite bushing . I know better next time LOL .

12 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

Actual it was not . The back bearing and packing where keeping to a weep . I only notice after adjusting belt working on generator . Of  coarse this was when i was a very newb to prewar cars and this vehicle .I was shocked to see it worn thur the bushing to the steel . The po just cranked the nut and adjustment tighter , I guess .

I use marine / farm wheel grease and square shaped gland packing rope . I use the semi fluid grease in front bearing as opposed to oil only because bearing was over cut to press in to eliminate reaming . I was able to use sealant on front portion where lip is . The lube thins from heat friction and absorbs into the oil lite bushing . I know better next time LOL .

I got my water pump finished this afternoon. Was a bit of a nightmare but got there in the end. The impeller split in half when I tapped the roll pin in. Manage to weld it back together with some stainless wire and stuck it in a bucket of sand to cool. It all seems to be spinning nicely now. Replaced all the bearings, shaft bush and new stainless shaft. The mechanical seal fitted in nicely with a small spacer to give a little pressure on the sealing face.  I’ll give it some paint soon. 

7D55A4C8-9748-4A4D-94B5-03BD331346AA.jpeg

EEA4601D-F6A8-4FD2-9DDC-CEC8C92B19D7.jpeg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Kenendcindyc said:

Mat, the pump looks great.  It’s hard to tell from your pictures but there appears to be a large gap between the impeller and the pump body, this will greatly reduce pump efficiency. I try to achieve about .040 clearance. 

I tend to agree with you. 
the bush I have won’t allow it to get any closer. It’s a new bush from Myers. 
might have to rethink this. Thanks. 

EB73035A-2F70-4EA7-933F-DF73081DD695.jpeg

1 hour ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Matt, is the seal ceramic? It looks like one. And the grease fitting has to go, just saying. 

Can I just paint it Doug I don’t have one of those old fashioned grease guns. Hahah 

Placing a zerk grease fitting on ANY water pump is a very bad idea......it’s likely to be greased by chassis grease and then it can possibly blow out the packings and the grease can plug the radiator.......your much better off with a grease cup and water soluble grease as it calls for.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Fair to say I’ve mate a right mess of this pump. At least the thread consists of the do’s and don’ts. Hahah. 
The mechanical seal is staying but I will de rod it 😂🤣 and fit the correct grease nipple. I think it’s correct anyway, it’s what was on it. 

image.jpg

21 hours ago, Mattml430 said:

Fair to say I’ve mate a right mess of this pump. At least the thread consists of the do’s and don’ts. Hahah. 
The mechanical seal is staying but I will de rod it 😂🤣 and fit the correct grease nipple. I think it’s correct anyway, it’s what was on it. 

image.jpg

Just out of curiosity has some one in years gone by changed the nipple and the grease cup fittings around ?