Cowl vents on a '63

JanZverina

1 hour ago, JanZverina said:

Thanks. Ed. That's what mine are but I see a few on Bring A Trailer that are all chrome including the grills.

Perhaps the car was repainted and the painted didn't know or the seller just liked the looks of the chrome.  Getting paint to stick to chrome is tricky as best.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2020 at 9:42 PM, RivNut said:

Perhaps the car was repainted and the painted didn't know or the seller just liked the looks of the chrome.  Getting paint to stick to chrome is tricky as best.

Some have said there are primer coatings that will stick to chrome for color coatings. Personally, I media blast chrome metal if I’m to coat.with powder or paint. 

4 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Some have said there are primer coatings that will stick to chrome for color coatings. Personally, I media blast chrome metal if I’m to coat.with powder or paint. 

If you media blast the mesh part, is there a way to protect the part of the piece that you want to remain chrome plated?

When I removed the paint on my cowl grills I used the "OLD" carb. dip bucket which removed ONLY the paint & DID NOT harm the chrome finish.  After a couple of hours in the dipping solution the primer underneath was a yellow/greenish color. Needed to sit overnight to completely remove the paint & primer. 

Today's carb. cleaner/dipping solution doesn't even clean a carb. properly. Thanks EPA!!!!

• Haha 1

To protect a workpiece section tape it off with fiberglass tape. I use high temp fiberglass tape on turbines I media blast to protect areas I do not want blasted.

Attached is a pic of a 64 turbine I taped the center cap hole, the circumference, and tops of the vanes. I blasted the turbine then powder coated.

For chrome pieces I media blast and tape off what I want to protect. I’ve not had luck using chemicals to remove paint from chrome. The bad luck with chemicals is I’m not experienced in using them. Old Rustoleum Aircraft remover with methyl chloride works to remove paint for me. Aircraft remover is nasty so rubber gloves and goggles are the minimum when working with aircraft remover.

CE52542C-B891-4D55-AB20-F60C6069C762.jpeg

• Like 1