41 Super pulls hard to the right on braking

henry clay

My 41 Super pulls hard to the right  particularly as the car 

comes to a stop.  Its not overly noticeable with gradual braking.  The  braking system has been inspected and the brakes adjusted but the problem persists.

What should I look at next?

Thanks a lot.

HC

Could be a brake hose delaminated or plugged. You should be able to disconnect it and run a length of #10 wire through it. If you aren't sure when they were changed last or over 20 years changing all three is a good starting point.

Peeling back the wheel cylinder cups and looking for thick brown mud is a good where to follow Pete's advice.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

My 38 Special pulled hard to the right, almost yanking the steering wheel out of my hands when cold and after the brakes warmed up it got a bit less but was still there.  Turned out to be a bad inner wheel bearing seal which allowed grease to leak onto the brake shoe surfaces.  I replaced the seal and the brake shoes and now I can take my hands off the steering wheel while braking and it doesn't move.

Steve D

21 minutes ago, BuickBob49 said:

Under hard braking, my 39 Roadmaster sometimes pulls to the left, sometimes pulls to the right. Puzzling. Any thoughts? 

What kind of tires are you running? Truck ruts and bias-ply tires can make for some interesting steering behavior.

My 35 with mechanical brakes starting pulling hard to the left when braking,I thought I might have a stuck cable so I'm soaking it with WD 40.I ordered a shop manual so I can adjust the cables like it says,hopefully that will help.At least I don't have to worry about brake fluid leaks.