1965 Grille removal...yep, all studs are out...

moran75

Hi all

I’m tryng to get my grille out for cleaning etc.

I’ve removed the three bolt across the top and all 7 studs across the bottom...grille wobbles but doesn’t seem to want to come out....reluctant to force it ....am I missing something? Or does it need a bit of ‘help’? I’ve even removed two additional bolts, one at either end of underside just past last stud...

Past posts suggest maybe the ‘valance’ piece just behind bumper has to be moved but others say grille should just be pulled out with removal of studs...

thanks in advance

kev

Edited by moran75
Grammar and punctuation (see edit history)

as an update, if anyone searches this subject and finds this post...

looking at a pic of a front valance on ebay it looks like their are seven 'dimples' which suggests that the grill has seven matching external mounting points which sit in these dimples...the studs screw up into the grill mounting points....so even with studs removed the valance needs to be dropped a bit - or completely...to allow the grille to be pulled out...

i think...we'll see how i get on

Kev

...update #2...after re-examining the balance I decided very quickly that I would not remove grille after all😀...immediately obvious that the valance isn’t coming out easy! At least I now know how the front end connects together...

Kev

Oh the problems we run into when we try to DIY some things best left to a professional.  I found that out. I had my car in a small shop where I paid to rent a stall and sometimes a lift.  I'd run into a situation and get really frustrated. The shop owner would come over and in the time it took me to tell him what my problem was, he'd have it fixed.  Remember: Cheap labor isn't good, and good labor isn't cheap.  Sometimes you just have to pay the piper.

Hi Kev,

When I had my '65 restored 20 years ago the body man invented some new curse words when trying to get the grille out. 

I'm now wanting to repaint the silver argent inside the grille but will do it with the grille on the car as I'm afraid to damage the paint in trying to get it out.  Yes, it'll be more work to mask everything off but that looks like the safest option.  I'm considering using a foam brush to apply the paint, to avoid overspray.  May have to experiment to see how that would look vs. spray painting.

Let us know how you tackled the grille restoration with the grille on the car.

Cheers,