Me and my 1958 Special 4dr. sedan

Buickboy58

Hi all,

I will start by this short film that was created by a young man Tom Gigliotti ,( Tom is from Brantford, Ontario ) who is in his last year of film school at the School of Images at Ryerson University  in Toronto, along with some fellow student filmmakers, are producing ‘ Walters Way “ , So , Tom , put out an email to the Brantford Piston Pushers FaceBook for a car…a car from the late ‘50 to early ‘60’s  , a vintage that he needed for a short film, so I volunteer with my 58 Special, the filming was done at the Dairy Delite in Brantford, they startup at 10:00pm, it was in March 2018 and -4C or 25F, really cold but there was people coming for ice cream dressed in short pants, small T-shirts before the closing time 10PM.

So you can watch this short film feature my 58 Special. Enjoy!

Thank you for watching.

Summary of the film.

Despite his old age and failing health, Walter, played by Gemini award-winning actor Lubomir Mykytiuk (North of 60, The Bridge, The Sum of All Fears) along with his daughter Kim, played by Geraldine Ronan (The Craftsman, Fireworks, Hometown Holiday) is forced to face the reality of yet another failed attempt to renew his driver’s license. Walter eventually confides in Kim and reveals what losing his freedom to drive really means to him. This reverse coming-of-age drama explores themes of independence, identity, and the inevitable changes in the circles of life.

Salut tout le monde,

Je vais commencer par ce court métrage qui a été créé par ce jeune homme, Tom Gigliotti, (Tom est de Brantford, Ontario) qui est dans sa dernière année d'école de cinéma à la School of Images de l'Université Ryerson à Toronto, avec quelques camarades cinéastes, ils veulent produire un court métrage nommé " Walters Way ", Alors, Tom, a envoyé un e-mail sur la page Facebook du Club, les Piston Pushers de Brantford dont je suis responsable pour trouver une voiture de la fin des années 50 au début des années 60, un millésime dont il avait besoin pour un court métrage, donc J'ai accepté de les aider avec mon Buick Special 1958, le tournage a été fait au Dairy Delite à Brantford, ils démarrent à 22h00, Vendredi soir le 23 mars 2018 et il fait -4C ou 25F, vraiment froid mais il y avait quand même des gens qui venaient chercher des glaces vêtus de pantalons courts , petits T-shirts avant l'heure de fermeture à 22h.

Vous pouvez donc visionner ce court métrage long métrage avec mon 58 Spécial. Prendre plaisir!

Merci d'avoir regardé.

Résumé du film.

Malgré son âge avancé et sa santé défaillante, Walter, interprété par l'acteur primé aux Gémeaux Lubomir Mykytiuk (North of 60, The Bridge, The Sum of All Fears) et sa fille Kim, interprétée par Geraldine Ronan (The Craftsman, Fireworks, Hometown Holiday) est contraint de faire face à la réalité d'une nouvelle tentative ratée de renouvellement de son permis de conduire. Walter finit par se confier à Kim et révèle ce que perdre sa liberté de conduire signifie vraiment pour lui. Ce drame inversé sur le vieillissement explore les thèmes de l'indépendance, de l'identité et des changements inévitables dans les cercles de la vie.

Edited by Buickboy58 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

WOW!

That hits home Denis as I dated my wife in my '58 Buick too.

1529342446_1958BuickSpecial-Aug1984.thumb.JPG.4b0e665a2d6045e4bf8805afa9549a1e.JPG

While I'm not at that re-right my license age yet, I know that day will be coming...

THANKS FOR SHARING this awesome video!

That young man Tom Gigliotti is to be commended for his work!

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Here are some pictures of the film shooting at Dairy Delite and inside the garage.

You can also see all the pictures of my club events, the Piston Pushers Car Club, I am the manager.

Thank you.

Voici quelques photos du tournage du film chez Dairy Delite et à l'intérieur du garage.

Vous pouvez également voir toutes les photos des événements de mon club, les Piston Pushers Car Club, dont je suis le responsable.
Merci.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2002579913336855&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2003117549949758&type=3

• Like 2

So this is the story of my Buick 58.
I always wanted to get an old classic car, after going to so many cars show, I decide it was time to find one, so I started looking  in fall 2013 for a GM Classic of a 1958 vintage, since this is the year of my birth. I saw a few cars, such as a 1958 Impala , great car , but expensive 25K and no motor. 
In May 2014, I came across this beautiful Buick 1958 in AutoTrader and it was within my budget, so I decided to look it up in North York, Ontario . When I saw the car in the driveway of the vendor, I said to myself, that's the one, got to have it, so I my son and I started looking all around the car, we said Wow! that is a nice car, so I drove it around the block and I really like it, so I bought it for 12K, the car had 62,997 miles on it and I am the 6th owner since it arrived in Woodbridge, Ontario on June 25th,1987. 
The car originated in Pennsylvania from a dealer name “ FOX BUICK “ in Greencastle PA. 
This 1958 Buick Special, 4 doors sedan, model 41 was  built in Flint Mich. USA. Car was pretty much all original when I purchased it. 
I did a lot of repair, suspension, alternator conversion, front disc brakes, added new wheels and tires, in spring 2015 I had the engine removed, cleaned and repainted, the engine bay and under the hood was cleaned and repainted. It had a black rust proof undercoating under the hood and on the firewall.
The previous owner gave me about a hundred spare parts and there was a four barrel intake with a Rochester 4B carb, so I had it installed but the carb wasn't running well, so I've replace it with a new one from Quick Fuel, 600 CFM. 
The original color was the light green (mint green), the last owner made it two tones in 2007.
You can see a short video of my Buick running, I will post pictures later this week.

Voici donc l'histoire de mon Buick 1958.
J'ai toujours voulu acheter une vieille voiture classique, après avoir assisté à beaucoup d'expositions automobiles, j'ai décidé qu'il était temps d'en trouver une, alors j'ai commencé à chercher à l'automne 2013 pour un GM Classique des années 1958, car c'est l'année de ma naissance. 
J'ai vu quelques voitures, comme une Impala de 1958, super voiture, mais chère à $25,000 et sans moteur.
En mai 2014, je suis tombé sur cette belle Buick 1958 dans AutoTrader et c'était dans mon budget, alors j'ai décidé d'aller la voir à North York, près de Toronto. 
Quand j'ai vu la voiture dans le stationnement du vendeur, je me suis dit, c'est celle-là que je veux, alors mon fils et moi avons commencé à regarder tout autour de la voiture, on s'est dit Wow ! c'est une belle voiture, donc je l'ai conduite autour du pâté de maisons et je l'aime vraiment, donc je l'ai achetée pour 12K, la voiture avait 62 997 miles et je suis le 6ème propriétaire depuis son arrivée à Woodbridge, Ontario le 25 juin, 1987.
La voiture est originaire de Pennsylvanie, du concessionnaire " FOX BUICK " à Greencastle PA.
Cette Buick Special de 1958, berline 4 portes, modèle 41 a été construite à Flint Michigan, USA. La voiture était presque entièrement d'origine lorsque je l'ai achetée.
J'ai fait beaucoup de réparations, suspension, conversion d'alternateur, freins à disque avant, ajouté de nouvelles roues et pneus, au printemps 2015 j'ai fait démonter, nettoyer et repeindre le moteur, le compartiment moteur et sous le capot ont été nettoyés et repeints. Il y avait une sous-couche noire antirouille sous le capot et sur le pare-feu.
Le propriétaire précédent m'a donné une centaine de pièces de rechange et il y avait une admission (intake) à quatre barils avec un carburateur Rochester 4B, donc je l'ai fait installer mais le carburateur ne fonctionnait pas bien, alors je l'ai remplacé par un nouveau de Quick Fuel , 600 CFM.
La couleur d'origine était le vert clair (vert menthe), le dernier propriétaire l'a peinturé bicolore en 2007.
Vous pouvez voir une courte vidéo du moteur en marche, je posterai des photos plus tard cette semaine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kV_i8xFQp4&feature=youtu.be

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So I made a slide show from the pictures that my son took when we saw the car for the first time, first picture is the one I saw in Auto Trader in May 2014.

The other pictures show the car and some thing that needed to be fix. It was repainted two tone green in 2007, originally it was all light green or spray green. 

The engine bay was not too nice to see. Under the hood, it had an ugly black undercoating.

I will have more pictures later from the engine bay restoration.

Thanks for watching.

J'ai donc fait un diaporama à partir des photos que mon fils a prise lorsque nous avons vu la voiture pour la première fois, la première photo est celle que j'ai vue dans Auto Trader en mai 2014.

Les autres photos montrent la voiture et quelque chose qui devait être réparé.

Le compartiment moteur n'était pas trop beau à voir. Sous le capot, il y avait une sous-couche noire laide.

J'aurai plus de photos plus tard de la restauration du compartiment moteur.

Merci d'avoir regardé.

• Like 3

This is the engine bay and motor Restoration, I had this done in spring 2015, everything was removed in the engine bay to be able to clean the firewall, inner fenders, frame. I decide to have the firewall painted same color then the light green on the car same thing with under the hood, It had a black rust proof undercoating under the hood that was applied by one of the previous owner, he undercoated with rust proof everywhere underneath the car, frame etc... 

Motor and transmission mounts have been changed, brake lines, gas lines, all heater hoses and radiator, the radiator was re cored but don't know why, it was still running too hot, I was waiting to cross the border on the Blue Water Bridge in Sarnia, we were going to the Port Huron Main Street Memories Car show at the end of July 2019 with 22 other cars from my club, and we got stock waiting over an hour on the bridge and temperature when up to 222F with the heater on, I didn't get vapor lock but it was close, so I decided to install an aluminum radiator and it did fix the problem.  

Il s'agit de la restauration du compartiment moteur et du moteur, je l'ai fait faire au printemps 2015, tout a été retiré dans le compartiment moteur pour pouvoir nettoyer le mur pare-feu, les ailes intérieures, le cadre. J'ai décidé de faire peindre le mur pare-feu de la même couleur que le vert clair sur la voiture avec sous le capot, il y avait une sous-couche noire antirouille sous le capot qui a été appliquée par l'un des propriétaires précédents, il a mis de l'antirouille partout en dessous la voiture, le châssis etc...

Les supports de moteur et de transmission ont été changés, les conduites de frein, les conduites de gaz, toutes les durites de chauffage et le radiateur, le radiateur a été refait mais je ne sais pas pourquoi, il roule toujours trop chaud, j'attendais de traverser la frontière sur le pont Blue Water Bridge à Sarnia, ON. nous allions au salon de l'auto Main Street Memories de Port Huron fin juillet 2019 avec 22 autres voitures de mon club, et nous avons attendu plus d'une heure sur le pont et le moteur est monté à une température de 222F avec le chauffage allumé, je n'ai pas eu de vapor lock provenant du carburateur mais c'était proche, j'ai donc décidé d'installer un radiateur en aluminium et cela a résolu le problème.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I have decided to redo my door panels because they look ugly, Buick could have made a better design for their 50th anniversary in 1958, even if it was the basic model, they could have done a better job.

Anyway this is what I have done with mine. I also notice that when I did my template for the door panels, the handles for the windows and the ones to open the doors are not at the same location from the front driver and passenger side, I had to loosen the bolts and move them to match same locations on both door, same thing with the rear doors. 

I have used MDF board to make the shape of the section with the arm rest, 1/8 th. Hardboard for the door panels and trim panel fastener to hold them in place.

Thank you

Enjoy!

J'ai donc décidé de refaire mes panneaux de porte car ils ont l'air moche, Buick aurait pu faire un meilleur design pour leur 50e anniversaire en 1958, même si c'était le modèle de base, ils auraient pu faire un meilleur travail.

C'est en tout cas ce que j'ai fait avec le mien. J'ai aussi remarqué que lorsque j'ai fait mon gabarit pour les panneaux de porte, les poignées pour les fenêtres et celles pour ouvrir les portes ne sont pas au même endroit du côté avant conducteur et passager, j'ai dû desserrer les boulons et les déplacer vers correspondent aux mêmes emplacements sur les deux portes, même chose avec les portes arrière.

J'ai utilisé du panneau MDF pour faire la forme de la section avec l'accoudoir, des panneau dur de 1/8" épais pour les panneaux de porte et des fixations de panneau de garniture pour les maintenir en place.

Merci

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I repainted the dash and all the dash parts, made a new dash pad, not quite all done but I will finished it next spring. In storage for the winter.

Thank you.

Salut,

J'ai repeint le tableau de bord et toutes les pièces du tableau de bord, j'ai fait un nouveau pad rembourré pour la tablette du dash, pas tout à fait terminé mais je le terminerai au printemps prochain. Entreposé pour l'hiver.

Merci.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, dei said:

So Deni, you are mechanically good again right?

Very interesting touches you are doing to her. 

Was the original dash pad cracked at all?

Are you personally doing the sewing and door panels?

Nice Work!

Doug

Hi Doug,

Thanks!

Yes, the Buick is running good after 12 weeks on the hoist.

no, the dash pad wasn't crack but it didn't match the rest of the restoration. Yes I did all the sewing and door panels myself but I never used a sewing machine in my life before. I got a walking foot sewing machine. I learned from YouTube and practicing. 

Denis

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A belated Happy New Years to you Denis!

While taking a break from dealing with my car storage issues over the holidays I came upon a loose memory card and looked through it.

I came upon this picture which of course is your car at the Chatham Ontario Retrofest Car Show.

IMG_3093.thumb.JPG.e1cf625a0c020a3fb67f1243b2d2cf52.JPG

I was around the corner with my Special behind the Royal Bank with some friends.

Funny how life is. I didn't get to speak with you then till this year.

IMG_3097.thumb.JPG.1aa3e0d329bec4eff956d0a0f8746e9e.JPG

Here's hoping 2021 Car Shows can come back again....

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 11:30 AM, dei said:

A belated Happy New Years to you Denis!

While taking a break from dealing with my car storage issues over the holidays I came upon a loose memory card and looked through it.

I came upon this picture which of course is your car at the Chatham Ontario Retrofest Car Show.

IMG_3093.thumb.JPG.e1cf625a0c020a3fb67f1243b2d2cf52.JPG

I was around the corner with my Special behind the Royal Bank with some friends.

Funny how life is. I didn't get to speak with you then till this year.

IMG_3097.thumb.JPG.1aa3e0d329bec4eff956d0a0f8746e9e.JPG

Here's hoping 2021 Car Shows can come back again....

Hi Doug, thanks, Happy New Year to you and all your family.

Yes, this was in 2018, I was there with my car club the Piston Pushers with around 23 members for the weekend. I remember seen this red conv. 58, so it was your, so you must know Anthony from Delhi who has a 58 Limited that he is selling or could be sold by now. 

Doesn't look too good for next car show season up to now. Take care.

Denis

IMG_7890.JPG

• Like 3

Hi Denis,

We missed each other at that show and yes I did meet Tony and his wife Suzanne then.

I actually gave him a set of front springs from my Limited parts car that he was going to try in his car for the front as his was sagging slightly.

I will have to reach out to him as I didn't know he was considering selling the Limited.

Upon second thought I really might not as I could get caught up in discussing the sale...

Lord knows I'm up to my eyeballs with car storage issues now.

I'd be 100% divorced for if I came home and said, Look Cindy what I bought!~! 😍

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...

So I have been very busy in the Buick since my last post on the dash resto. 

I got some bucket seats (powered) and rear seat from a 1995 Oldsmobile 98 in September 2019 and I had someone who was suppose to recover them in March 2020 but he decided not to do them.

So I challenged myself to do them, so like I said before, I have never recover any seats in my hole life.

So check it out and comments are welcome.

Thanks.

Make sure that the subtitles are on in the video to see the description.

J'ai donc été très occupé dans le Buick depuis mon dernier message sur la restauration du tableau de bord.

J'ai acheté des sièges baquets (électriques) et un siège arrière d'une Oldsmobile 98 de 1995 en septembre 2019 et j'avais quelqu'un qui était censé les recouvrir en mars 2020 mais il a décidé de ne pas les faire.

Alors je me suis lancé le défi de les faire, donc comme je n'ai jamais rembourrer de siège dans ma vie je me suis lancé.

Alors jetez-y un coup d'œil et les commentaires sont les bienvenus.

Merci.

Assurez-vous que les sous-titres sont activés dans la vidéo pour voir la description.

• Like 2