Photo - Please Identify my Grandfather's car

Peter Gariepy

To: peterg@aaca.org

Date: 12/22/2002 02:31 PM

Subject: can you identify car?

My grandfather and family came from Missouri to Washington state in an old car. They left Missouri in the first half of the 1920's, I think about 1923 or 1924. The car looks to be old even then. I have written a book for my family about my grandparents, and have a picture of this car in the story. I am hoping you can tell me what make and year this car is so I can include the information.

The car looks much like a station wagon or a pickup with sides, but has sides that roll up. I have included a picture of this car in this email. Hoping you can identify the car for me. Thank you for your help. Joy A Fraley

fraley.jpg

For starters, its a Model T and it does have an aftermarket depot hack body on it. No way to know for certain how much of the remaining car has also been modified or even if it was a new or well used vehicle when the body was switched. At that time you could buy just a chassis and put any kind of body on it you wanted, so that wood body could have been added to a brand new chassis! Im looking at the radiator and note the absence of a lower valence where the crank handle sticks out. The valence appeared in about June of 1923 when the height of the radiator was increased slightly. Without the valence the car would date from 1921-1923 and only a closer look might be able to narrow that down a bit. Of course back then the radiator could have been changed, and who cared about authenticity or would ever imagine that someday we'd be here trying to figure out what year the car is. Any chances on getting a larger image? Maybe some of the other "T" guys can chime in with their input?

Terry