Looking for a (1920 or earlier) automobile in any condition, Thank you

SANDOW

Hello, i am looking to get in into the automobile hobby and i am looking for my first car. I have some particular makes, models, and years in mind...however i'm open to anything (including alternative engines and fuel...steam, electric, ext).

Thank you for all your leads or support...

Edited by SANDOW (see edit history)

Well, if you are open to anything in any condition, you could be bombarded with everything in every which a possible condition. Is that really what you are asking for ?

At least tell us something about you age ?_______________________

Experience/training ?_________________

Price range you are looking to spend ?__________________

Optionally I.Q. If you feel like throwing that into the mix ?__________________

See, it is very difficult for us to help someone totally unknown to us who is looking for any kind of car in any condition just as long as it is 1920 or earlier. Want a 1920 Cadillac in driver condition ? A run-down one which will be a 15 year long project ? O.K. then : If a 1920 will do, what about the 1921 Cadillac in the next town over ? Not much difference between them, practically the same car. Prefer a 1904 single cylinder Cadillac ? Are you a machinist with a well equipped shop and 30+ years turning metal into miracles ?__________________.  Welding abilities ?_________________

Please fill in the blanks, and how about turning some of those cards face-up ? In other words, let us know what those particular makes, models, and years you have in mind.

Steam you say ? Would you be experienced in marine or railroad steam power ; hobby or professional capacity? 

Pretty sure you get the point. Please help us to help you. You have come to exactly the right place. An almost infinite amount of collective knowledge and patience here. Welcome, friend !  

As I said in the posting, I am open to any cars pre-1920 (as well as alternative power sources, ext.) in any condition and hopefully I am bombarded with cars...I have had my eye on particular years, makes, and models, but to get a feel for what’s out there and the prices that people are asking I’d like to stay as open as possible. 
My technical skill or age isn’t really something you should be worrying about and if your just making sure your car is going to be taken care of, I can assure you if or when that time comes. 
I appreciate any and all leads/info that you can give...I hope you all the best knowledge and skill when tackling any of your projects, thank you.

Sandow,

Here's a '21 REO Touring model T6 for your consideration.  This car only has 39,000 actual miles and I am the 4th owner.  I have the full history on the car.  It left the factory on July 17, 1921.  I am selling to pursue a 24 REO that my dad owned back in the mid 70's.  Unfortunately I don't have space for both cars.  I am still in the work force (not retired) and live in the Chicagoland area.  I also have an enclosed car hauler that I transport the car in.  Not a guarantee, but delivery of the car may be possible.  I am asking $24,000 but I would entertain reasonable offers.  I can be reached at 708-259-0298 between 8AM and 9PM central time.  Thanks.

IMG_2368.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning Sandow, I have a 1917 Dodge roadster that needs a lot of hugging, and  Iam probably not going to get to It in my life time, seams like the last 30 or 40 yrs. slipped away from me some way, your welcome to send me a personal message if you care to,I don’t want to get your hopes up because this car would be a real project, I had it running yrs. and needs a new clutch, and tires, it’s sitting on the rims, it’s been damaged from a pallet rack falling over on it yrs.ago the windshield post have been shortened and glass and frames for shooting jack rabbits out of, seems like some of the wood bows in the top are broke Iam in Ks. and Montana witch ever end would be closer to you I run back and forth all time. I probably won’t try dig it out and get pic. Unless you show interest. /dale.tharp@gmail.com 620 332 49three two. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Buick’s around that vintage are a great choice, good community, parts availability is reasonable and have enough power to not be too weedy.

Cadillacs of that vintage can be a bit pricier and parts availability is scarce. My experience has been that they’re quite a bit more finniciky but good driving cars

Mid luxury brands with strong six cylinders would be a good place to start (e.g. Buick, Chrysler if happy with something a bit newer)

Edited by hidden_hunter (see edit history)

17 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

The Buick’s around that vintage are a great choice, good community, parts availability is reasonable and have enough power to not be too weedy.

Cadillacs of that vintage can be a bit pricier and parts availability is scarce. My experience has been that they’re quite a bit more finniciky but good driving cars

Mid luxury brands with strong six cylinders would be a good place to start (e.g. Buick, Chrysler if happy with something a bit newer)

Thank you for the advice...

2 hours ago, SANDOW said:

Thank you for the advice...

There are also some late teens 4cyl buicks' that are (relatively) light weight that would be a good buy as you can get some of the sportier body styles for a reasonable price

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

How have you gone mate? Maybe throw out some things you’re looking at from Hemings and the group can chime in with the pros/cons from some of the different models

Have had some potential leads from local car groups and some other sources, but nothing from the forum that has worked out...some really good cars on here though. 

3 hours ago, SANDOW said:

Have had some potential leads from local car groups and some other sources, but nothing from the forum that has worked out...some really good cars on here though. 

Have you settled on any favoured models yet? 

19 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

Have you settled on any favoured models yet? 

Potentially, was very interested in getting a Model T Ford and still am, but as I’m always getting more and more exposure to antique cars there are many makers and models I’d be interested in, especially pre-30s before a lot of auto makers closed down, and so I’d like to keep my options open for anything that may come my way...

Interested in a sleeve valve and very rare Full Classic 1920 Brewster?

001.jpg

https://www.harwoodmotors.com/vehicles/inventory_details.php?id=1291

I also have a 1912 Buick Model 29 and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, but it could probably be purchased reasonably.

1912Buick1.thumb.jpg.bd811ef9798e09db3b68ade1549cee7d.jpg  1912Buick2.thumb.jpg.62be1e981c657d1ee494af55c27b671a.jpg  1912Buick3.thumb.jpg.37d3d4457faab1445c42c3364b49441e.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Interested in a sleeve valve and very rare Full Classic 1920 Brewster?

001.jpg

https://www.harwoodmotors.com/vehicles/inventory_details.php?id=1291

I also have a 1912 Buick Model 29 and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, but it could probably be purchased reasonably.

1912Buick1.thumb.jpg.bd811ef9798e09db3b68ade1549cee7d.jpg  1912Buick2.thumb.jpg.62be1e981c657d1ee494af55c27b671a.jpg  1912Buick3.thumb.jpg.37d3d4457faab1445c42c3364b49441e.jpg

What were you asking for the Buick, out of curiosity?

On 12/12/2020 at 10:03 PM, SANDOW said:

Potentially, was very interested in getting a Model T Ford and still am...

Mr. Sandow, one thing to keep in mind is that

seats aren't usually adjustable in early cars.

Are you tall?  Model T's have very limited legroom;

larger cars likely have more.  Be sure to ask the

seller, or check with someone on our forum who

may have a similar car.  It may save the expense

of a trip.

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Mr. Sandow, one thing to keep in mind is that

seats aren't usually adjustable in early cars.

Are you tall?  Model T's have very limited legroom;

larger cars likely have more.  Be sure to ask the

seller, or check with someone on our forum who

may have a similar car.  It may save the expense

of a trip.

Will keep in mind, thank you

The advantage of the T’s is you could just about build a complete car with remanufactured parts. The T’s in a lot of ways have their own culture owing to their popularity 

The 12 Buick from Matt is really nice looking and I believe would have quite a bit better drivability than a T

Also really like your Brewster and the sleeve valve is a very interesting proposition for those looking for something bit different. 

A little bit newer than you were asking for but https://www.harwoodmotors.com/vehicles/inventory_details.php?id=1283 Looks like a good starter car 

33 minutes ago, RodgerWilson said:

The REO has a nice support group as well.  The club has many resources for parts.  The 21 REO above only has 39,000 actual miles on it and doesn't need anything.  Just enjoy.  Thanks.

I'm a member of the club and I 100% agree with this.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 1922 Franklin Series 10A that I am interested in selling. It is a closed two door sedan, with a V-Shaped windshield. Franklins were produced in Syracuse NY from 1902-1934. It has an air cooled six cylinder engine, three speed transmission, and an all original interior. Franklins are great vehicles for touring, and the club is a massive resource for parts and technical information. We even have a majority of the Company's blue prints and drawings on our website, digitized and searchable for members. This car is 100% complete and it has a lot of original finishes showing. The engine was rebuilt and needs some bugs worked out, I am currently doing that now. I would sell this car for $13,900 or any reasonable offer. Located in NE Pennsylvania. 

2136023629_1922Franklinsedan1.thumb.jpg.a3ebee75560311c68854c96cae6ed39c.jpg

1922 Franklin Sedan 2.jpg

1922 Franklin Sedan 3.jpg

1922 Franklin Sedan 4.jpg

1922 Franklin Sedan 5.jpg

1922 Franklin Sedan 6.jpg

1922 Franklin Sedan 7.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 10:50 AM, Matt Goist said:

I have a 1922 Franklin Series 10A that I am interested in selling. It is a closed two door sedan, with a V-Shaped windshield. Franklins were produced in Syracuse NY from 1902-1934. It has an air cooled six cylinder engine, three speed transmission, and an all original interior. Franklins are great vehicles for touring, and the club is a massive resource for parts and technical information. We even have a majority of the Company's blue prints and drawings on our website, digitized and searchable for members. This car is 100% complete and it has a lot of original finishes showing. The engine was rebuilt and needs some bugs worked out, I am currently doing that now. I would sell this car for $13,900 or any reasonable offer. Located in NE Pennsylvania. 

That’s a nice looking car...we’re you still interested in selling it? All original or reproduction parts, fixes, ext? Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 9:18 PM, SANDOW said:

That’s a nice looking car...we’re you still interested in selling it? All original or reproduction parts, fixes, ext? Thank you

I would still be interested in selling the Franklin, It is mostly original but has had amateur repaint work done. The engine has been rebuilt. I have the pan off now checking all bearing clearances and so on.  Interior totally original. There's a great club for franklins that is a wonderful resource for info, and parts. as far as the parts go, its original. No mechanical modifications. 

• Like 1

• SANDOW changed the title to Looking for a (1920 or earlier) car in any condition for myself
On 10/30/2020 at 4:40 PM, SANDOW said:

Hello, i am looking to get in into the automobile hobby and i am looking for my first car. I have some particular makes, models, and years in mind...however i'm open to anything (including alternative engines and fuel...steam, electric, ext).

Thank you for all your leads or support...

Have 2 for sale 

414-630-2853 Dave

IMG_20210227_112426.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 10:50 AM, Matt Goist said:

I noticed a yellow MG next to the Franklin,I have a chrome bumper 74 MG that Is like to trade for an old car if you want another one.It has the mirrors on the fenders like yours.Greg

• SANDOW changed the title to Looking for a (1920 or earlier) automobile in any condition, Thank you
  • 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, rjp said:

I have a 1920 Mclaughlin- Buick Touring. and a 1917 Dort touring. Both run good. Thanks   Roger

Could you message me some photos and what you were potentially thinking about asking, thank you

Is there a chance I could get your cell phone number? I can text a couple of pictures easier.  Thanks,  That way if you want more pictures its easier for me, the wife not here to send them email for me.  Thanks again  Roger

Here is one I don’t think you will find another.  1915 Cadillac 5 passenger sedan (formerly called the inside limo) very low serial number so may be the oldest mass produced completely original V-8 car in the country. First year for V-8 Cadillac.  All original interior and body paint believed to be original. Fenders have been redone and showing wear. Around 26000 miles and ran last summer.  I have searched and can not find another 15 (center door) original glass.....a time capsule if you will.  Make an offer I can’t refuse.  Thanks 

353FCDAD-8929-4264-B951-DFC9762145B0.jpeg

B1D40C3A-D6F1-46D3-B53A-8690B3FF781F.jpeg

1883A4FE-33F1-4091-BA7D-25B819752DED.jpeg

4A24FE6C-8731-4AFC-B3AD-5979F5979F94.jpeg

974F3209-B47A-4A07-A06E-666995F72A42.jpeg

On 3/16/2021 at 9:52 PM, rjp said:

Really dont know, Would you be interested in both?

On 3/16/2021 at 9:52 PM, rjp said:

Really dont know, Would you be interested in both?

Potentially, just let me know...

• 3 months later...