Problems starting the engine Buick super 1949

Selim

Sounds like the flywheel is not engaging with the gear on the starter.  It is probably a broken tooth on the starter gear - at least that's what I would check first.  You can also inspect the teeth on the flywheel when you pull the starterto see if they are broken - they will be right there I would think.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 11:44 PM, Dan O said:

Sounds like the flywheel is not engaging with the gear on the starter.  It is probably a broken tooth on the starter gear - at least that's what I would check first.  You can also inspect the teeth on the flywheel when you pull the starterto see if they are broken - they will be right there I would think.

How to fix this? Seems like broken teeth in flywheel. Do I have to get a new one, or could it be fixed? And if I have to buy a new one, where to get it?

Selim - pull the starter out and look in the hole where the starter goes in to meet the flywheel - do you see broken teeth on the flywheel?  If not, how about the starter gear teeth?  Starter is probably the problem - it may be broken and is easiest to fix.  I have a spare flywheel from a '49 Buick 320 engine if you need one.

On 11/16/2020 at 5:27 AM, Dan O said:

Selim - pull the starter out and look in the hole where the starter goes in to meet the flywheel - do you see broken teeth on the flywheel?  If not, how about the starter gear teeth?  Starter is probably the problem - it may be broken and is easiest to fix.  I have a spare flywheel from a '49 Buick 320 engine if you need one.

starter is new, we can detect broken teeth in the flywheel ring gear. that is what i believe i need! mechanic told me we can turn the sides of the flywheel ring gear (flip it) in order to get the intact side of the ring interacting with starter! would that work? 

Interesting solution.  I guess it would work for awhile if the teeth were just chipped.  But I would assume they will break again.  To replace the flywheel you need to pull the engine so I'd replace the whole flywheel rather than risk pulling the motor again.  What motor do you have 320 from the Roadmaster?

That looks like it would work rather than the whole flywheel.  I am no motor mechanic so I could not say.  Look at your service manual but you will need to separate the transmission from the engine at minimum to install the ring.  Not sure if you need to pull the motor or just the transmission.

Best of luck!

8 hours ago, critterpainter said:

Does the car have a Dynaflow automatic transmission or a manual transmission?     If the car has a manual transmission, Bobs Automobilia should have a ring gear.  805-434-2963

dynaflow automatic transmission

would that at BOBs work? 

https://bobsautomobilia.com/engine/flywheel-ring-gear-1939-52-s.40-50-.-frg-393/

• 2 weeks later...

Ask the seller of the upper one for the O/D of his and for the tooth count on the ring gear.  40 and 50 series (special and super) should interchange but 70 series (roadmaster) should be a larger diameter.     If it matches yours its a good deal!

Lower one is a Flywheel, not a flexplate.   Not for Dynaflow.

1 hour ago, critterpainter said:

Ask the seller of the upper one for the O/D of his and for the tooth count on the ring gear.  40 and 50 series (special and super) should interchange but 70 series (roadmaster) should be a larger diameter.     If it matches yours its a good deal!

Lower one is a Flywheel, not a flexplate.   Not for Dynaflow.

Thanks

what is the O/D? 
how many teeth should be there ? Thanks

39 minutes ago, critterpainter said:

You will have to measure the outside diameter and count the number of teeth on YOUR flexplate and compare it to the one for sale.   That information fell out of my head ages ago.

Thanks

problem is I fixed mine a bit and it’s inside engine now. So I can’t get it out to

measure !