Looking for the Franklin Script name for front of 1931 Airman

thunderbolt47d

The original hood front scripts - and the last batch of castings using the original mold that were sold by a Club member - do not have "attachment clips". They have two tabs as part of the casting that fits in behind the edge of the grill shell and uses two small round head screws and nuts to attach it. That way the shutters can be opened without the script preventing that and over heating the engine. 

Sunny used a picture of one on a 1930 that is mounted like the originals, in a post here. https://forums.aaca.org/topic/342185-want-to-buy-franklin-script/?tab=comments#comment-2037977

Paul

Bob,

Check with Mr. Manwell. He found the small foundry in Syracuse that cast the original scripts for Franklin. They still had the mold so he had them cast a bunch and he sold them at a Trek. I bought a couple, of which that one pictured in Sunny's post that I linked to, is one that I put on a '30 7 Passenger Pirate that you've seen at the Trek.   If they still have the mold I think it would be wise for the Club to try to purchase it so it doesn't get lost in future. The script is listed in the Franklin accessory catalog and is part of the Franklin history. 

Paul

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thunderbolt47d said:

Thanks for the information! Now to find one! Or can someone point me to how to contact Mr. Manwell???

If your an H.H. Franklin Club member, Mr. Manwell is listed in the H.H Franklin Club roster that comes with membership ( www.franklincar.org). Otherwise, I'm sure you'll appreciate why I don't give out Club member's private contact info on an internet-open website.  Join the Club and the wealth of info available is the best money you could ever spend on your Franklin !!!!!😉

Paul

• Like 4

On 10/30/2020 at 6:30 PM, PFitz said:

If your an H.H. Franklin Club member, Mr. Manwell is listed in the H.H Franklin Club roster that comes with membership ( www.franklincar.org). Otherwise, I'm sure you'll appreciate why I don't give out Club member's private contact info on an internet-open website.  Join the Club and the wealth of info available is the best money you could ever spend on your Franklin !!!!!😉

Paul

I'm a member just waiting on the membership packet to arrive. Thanks I will look him up and contact him!

• 2 months later...