On 1953-1956 V8 264 and V8 322 engines, the engine serial number is stamped on a machined surface on the top outer edge of the left (driver side in U.S./Canada) cylinder bank, between the middle branches of the exhaust manifold.

It should start with 3A.  3 Skylark, A 1954 and the next letter is the plant it was built in.  Then the following 6 numbers are the serial number.  They dont match the serial number on the body.

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
On 10/27/2020 at 10:55 PM, Bill Stoneberg said:

. . . It should start with 3A.  3 Skylark, A 1954 and the next letter is the plant it was built in.  Then the following 6 numbers are the serial number . . . 

A 1954 Buick Skylark 322 c.i. V-8 engine serial number does not start with the digit "3" . . . there is not a letter "A" that denotes the year 1954 . . . and there is no digit or letter in the engine serial number that denotes what plant the engine was built in or that it was originally installed in a 1954 Buick Skylark Model 100.

The second location where you can find an engine serial number is by removing the upper casting for the oil filter's assembly at the rear of the engine on the passenger's side of the engine block. The number that you see there will not tell you what Buick series or model the engine was installed in originally. 

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

I happen to have a 1954 Skylark sitting right here next to me and the numbers are indeed where Bill says they are. Mine starts with a V but the rest is too faint and too awkward to photograph. I can try again if someone really needs to see it.