Sealing options for side of the block lifter cover

Stude Light

I'm looking for a better plan on sealing the block side cover.  When I rebuilt the engine I thought some Permatex Ultra Black or Right Stuff (can't recall which) would be a good solution on the side cover to keep it from leaking.  Yes, it worked great - not a drop in 5 years!  I decided to adjust my lifter lash this weekend so had to remove that cover....OMG what a pain!  After prying with 25 screwdrivers around the perimeter didn't work, I had to break off a box cutter blade and hold it with needle nose pliers and painstakingly cut the gasket joint all the way around. Now that I got it all cleaned up and picked any gasket chips out of the engine with a mirror and mechanics grabber tool 😠, it's time to reinstall.  Uses a regular cork gasket (from Olson's of course) which I decided to bond to the side cover with "old school" Permatex Indian Head shellac.

I'm looking for a leak free but removable option on the block side - I'm thinking a little grease to help fill any imperfections but wanted to draw on all the other experience in the forum to see if there is a better option. I appreciate any suggestions.

Scott

IMG_2131.thumb.jpg.c0db7b2a20c882cb69b721df291f56d0.jpg

I like to stick the gasket to the cover with a thin bead of silicone and press it on a flat surface to dry while I do the valves. Then grease the side that goes to the engine. Another thing you can do is smear a thin film of silicone on the gasket and let it dry, instead of grease. This helps it seal and prevents sticking. Silicone is easier to scrape off than gasket shellac when it comes time to replace the gasket.